Windows 7 XP mode NAT setup

paksarhad

hi guys
i successfully installed windows xp mode and also some applications in it. but i am unable to bring up network inside it. I mean i cant ping anyone on my network from within xp mode virtual pc. Virtual PC setting is by default is in NAT mode. i am getting some weird IP in xp mode virtual pc but cannot seem to ping anyone on network. has anyone successfully accessed network from xp mode virtual PC ???
Also to test i installed adminpak in xp mode and when i launch it i am getting "access denied" i tried running it as administrator also no luck. I tried selecting my domain/domain controller but getting same message access denied.

is there some setup required for network inside XP mode virtual PC

Yes, I have "successfully accessed network from xp mode virtual PC"

You may have accidentaly disabled or not setup something properly.
What is the IP that you are getting. if it is a 169.x.x.x then that is Automatic Private IP Addressing (APIPA)
This happens when DHCP is enabled and the network can not pull an IP from the DHCP server.

This (for me) is not easy to fix through a forum like this.
All I can say is to maybe uninstall/reinstall Virtual PC with XP Mode as it should be setup automatically without you having to do anything.

Or check that an app you installed didn't make some change to network settings in XP.
Or, if you have Internet Security Suite (of any kind, they are all crap) uninstall it (or turn it off) and see if maybe Virtual PC is being blocked.

Turn off all firewalls in 7, and see what happens.

There are a lot of reasons that can cause this. Could almost write a small book on it. ( i think people have ).

Back