Windows 7 Yet another Windows 7 and Windows XP network problem

Banned
Hey, got a problem with my home network (but this one is new!). Now, I realize that W7 is still in development but still, this is a simple filesharing problem.
So I got W7 comp, hooked up with two XP SP2 comps through residential gateway (router). All 3 comps connect to the internet independently, so internet works fine.
The issue is with file sharing, W7 sees both XP comps, and can access the shared folder with no problems, it can even alter the contents of files (it's set up in XP), but both XP comps do not see W7 comp?! :confused: XP comps see themselves correctly. So, how to enable XP comps to see W7?

P.S.
When W7 comp boots XP, the network has no issues, any suggestions?

Here is a graphical representation of my setup, it's a wired network and third comp is off but you get the point, it acts the same as the XP PC1

Capture.jpg

Please, anybody...

Last edited:
Make sure you, have allowed the xp network address through the 7 firewall. Go to network & sharing > advanced settings, allow everything, turn on all permissions, disable all preventions. Expand the public folders, do the same, the very last question, manage homegroup passwords, or user accounts, click the bottom button, (user accts.). I believe makes it use the same network system that xp uses. (I say this because my xp network will not work if the other button is clicked, and that is the 7 style). Go to homegroup and sharing options, make sure everything is shared.
Another post says that to network xp you have to leave the homegroup, however I am still in the homegroup. Have a look at my other post "SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!". It may just take some time.

I have seen couple of other posts, but they refer to problems with W7 comps not seeing XP comps, mine case is backwards, XP don't see W7, not even a trace. In W7 I have left the homegroup, in advanced sharing setting I have everything turned on except for the password protected sharing. Could you please clarify what do I need to do with the user accounts and on witch computer?

You could give everyone access to the Windows 7 machine:

First of all, go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Network and Sharing Center > Change Advanced Sharing Settings and make sure you have Network Discovery, File and Printer Sharing and Public Folder Sharing all set to ‘On’ and Password Protected Sharing to ‘Off’.

Right-click the folder to share > Properties > Sharing Tab > Advanced Sharing > Share this folder > Apply, OK > Close.

As you don’t have Password Protected Sharing turned on, you have to change the security permissions on your folder(s) to allow Everyone access. Right-click the shared folder > Properties > Security Tab > Edit > Add and type ‘Everyone’ (not the quotes) into the box and OK. Tick the boxes next to the permissions you want to allow (e.g. Read or Write, etc.) then Apply > OK, etc. You may see some screens coming up with message 'An error occurred while applying ……..'. This is not unusual and can be ignored by clicking Continue.

I didn't see any mention of the Workgroup name in this thread. All of the computers on a network have to have the same workgroup name. XP wants to call it "Mshome" while Windows 7 calls it "Workgroup".

It looks like the other things I had to do to get it to work have been covered.

"wt.pm" also mentioned that it can take some time. That's important to remember with networking. They do sometimes take time to find themselves. A network needs to have a "Master Browser". This means only one of the computers on a network can be in charge of keeping track of The different computers and what each computer is sharing. The network deciding which one is the thing that makes it take time. Don't think it doesn't work just because it doesn't start immediately.

Last edited:
Solved my issue by installing Cisco's network magic and shared folders from there. Now I can access any comp from any comp.
I am not a network noob, I had network set up this way for almost a year before with XP SP2. So I know all about the permissions and sharing stuff. The problem is that I can't see W7 comp from XP comp, it's not a access issue, for XP comp, Seven comp does not exist. This might be related to workgroup. XP has it's own WG and Seven it's own, so they dont see each other, but again, I CAN see and browse, alter, prit through W7 comp on XP comp?! :confused:

If MS considers this a backwards compatibility then they should look up for a dictionary! :razz:
Problem is solved by a 3rd party app, but still the initial issue persists...

Back
Top Bottom