Windows 7 Zyday / Edimax (etc?) USB wireless driver:- a solution

raygtir

Solution for Windows 7 (32-bit, will try the same with 64-bit later)
Required (I found these on the manufacturers' CD):-

Driver Date: 15/05/2003
Driver Version: 1.63.515.2003 (or 1.63.0515.2003)

Driver details ... WS01UPH.BIN & ZD1201U.sys

Steps
a) do not install the driver via supplier CD Installation program. If it's already been installed, it won't work with Wimndows 7, so uninstall it.
b) insert the supplier CD, select "Open folder to view files"
c) browse to the lowest-level folder that contains the actual driver (in my case it was called ...EW-7117U\WinXP. Reason? W7 doesn't (yet) seem to work properly with searching for drivers in sub-directories - or at least it didn't work for me and I spent hours on this.
d) Note the name of the folder
e) Start Device Manager
f) in Network Adapters right-click on the problem device, then Properties
g) in the Driver tab click on Update Driver
h) Click on Browse my computer for driver software
i) Type in the name of the folder containing the driver (...EW-7117U\WinXP)
j) follow the on-screen prompts.
HTH, Ray

No luck with 64-bit.
I tried support from Zydas / Edimax for 64-bit drivers ... loopy-loo (no can do).
I tried a few random 64-bit drivers with no joy.
Eventually got an 802.11 N150 Belkin F6D4050ea and it worked perfectly (as long as the Belkin-supplied drivers are installed) worked on XP Pro too.
Plea to MS - I can't justify spending £££ replacing perfectly good hardware because of the lack of 64-bit drivers.
Plea to MS - please include 64-bit drivers for older hardware.
I have large, 100% rock-solid setup with stuff that cost from £20 to £250 plus-per-item. In these tough times the last thing I need is a new operating system that demands "you must buy new hardware because your old OS will be dumped" or else "use an inferior (32-bit) OS".
Cheers, Ray

same problem with my edimax EW-7128g

Win 7 64 bit dosent recognize the card even after installing the latest drivers
after installing the program for the card - the program is inaccessible (blackened out in program tray)

anyone menaged to overcome the problem ?

Win 7 64 bit dosent recognize the card even after installing the latest drivers
after installing the program for the card - the program is inaccessible (blackened out in program tray)

anyone menaged to overcome the problem ?

managed to solve the problem:

1st don't install the program from the CD
if you did simply uninstall it.
next download the latest driver suitable for xp (not vista)
::: EDIMAX Technology :::

find the file via Win7 and then right click and go to competability
Win7 recognizes it as a win xp application and runs it smoothly - then simply state that the program worked fine and save it.

solution ? maybe !

Hi,

I connected the computer to the internet with an USB wireless card (tplink 321g) works with ralink 73 that was recognzied out of the box (win7 32bit RC), and instructed the driver wizard for the unworking edimax ew7128g to look for the driver in the internet - it found and installed the ralink 2500 driver, and the edimax card is working well.

I hope this could be of help,

Michael

Back