Windows 7 0x000000ED UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME Error on Netbook running XP

kermie

I have a netbook (Dell Mini 10) and am getting the BSOD. Anyone know how to help? I've done a bit of searching and it looks like we should do a chkdsk/r, but currently, I can't get it to work on any of my F8 start up options (nor have I ever done it before). Please help!

I have a netbook (Dell Mini 10) and am getting the BSOD. Anyone know how to help? I've done a bit of searching and it looks like we should do a chkdsk/r, but currently, I can't get it to work on any of my F8 start up options (nor have I ever done it before). Please help!

the reason it is not working is that you need the windows xp install or startup disc in order to do a check disk repair see here
When you restart your computer or upgrade to Windows XP, you receive the "STOP 0x000000ED UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" error message but you should have some recovery options available do you still have the recovery disc that came with your netbook

Well, the netbook does not have a disc drive, but I do have all of the original discs that came with it. How do I run them without a drive? Will I need to buy a portable drive or something?

ok there are 2 ways we can do this you could go buy an external dvd drive you could use it for other stuff too I forgot how basic netbooks are taking out a cd drive cuts down on alot of space requirements or we can try to make a bootable usb drive with the recovery console on the usb drive you will need a blank usb drive and the windows xp setup cd and a computer with a cd drive
Follow this Step By step procedure to run this tool

1.Download USB Recovery Tool View attachment mkrecovery.zipand extract the zip package in separate directory

2. Right click mkrecovery.cmd file and click edit to change the attributes in the config file.
3. Change USBDRV value R: to the drive letter that is been currently used by your USB Drive when you plug it in your computer.
4. Change XPSRC to the path of your Windows XP Setup folder that could be placed on the cd inserted or on your hard disk.
5. Exit and Save then double click on mkrecovery.cmd to run this tool.​

Then if your computer allows booting from usb drive you will have the recovery console on the flash drive​

Last edited:
Great! I will go buy an extra drive tomorrow and try it. I'll reply again tomorrow after trying what you have said here and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom