Windows 7 0x000000f windows won't start, and neither will windows 7 dvd

eatmeatraw

Hi people! I have a problem I cannot solve. I suddenly got the

"Windows cannot start due to a hardware or software change,

windows/system32/config/system

0x000000f

systemregisterfile missing or damaged" - message for no apparent reason (noe installations or changes lately, it just came up when booting today). I would really like to try the fix the computer recommends: to repair using the windows 7 dvd.

BUT: I cannot get the computer to boot from the dvd drive. I have tried both the internal dvdROM and my external usbdvdROM (both worked an hour ago) anda I hve changed the boot order in the biossetup correctly. It tries to boot and then takes me back to the "windows failed to start"-screen. Safemode-options and safemodecommandprompt options does the same.

I do not understand and I have noe idea what to do next. This computer is important to me.
Anyone?

All help will be greatly appreciated!

(Its a win 7 home premium on a homebuilt computer)

I do not see a Windows\System32\config\system directory on my system. Perhaps this is a virus.

If you open an adminstratrive command prompt and type SFC /scannow it should check all your system files. The message you seem to be getting seems a little strange.

I do not see a Windows\System32\config\system directory on my system. Perhaps this is a virus.

If you open an adminstratrive command prompt and type SFC /scannow it should check all your system files. The message you seem to be getting seems a little strange.

I don't find that file in mine either.
Joe

I'm seeing a Windows\System32\config\systemprofile on mine though. To the OP, was that a typo by any chance?

if you can get to boot from the CD as a miracle or boot in safe mode with command promt you could try the following commands

bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd
bootrec.exe /fixmbr
bootrec.exe /fixboot

Back