10-18-09

tblount

This will ENABLE the 20% bandwidth that the system reserves for itself.
Click Start and type and enter "gpedit.msc"

This opens the group policy editor. Then go to:
Local Computer Policy-->Computer Configuration-->Administrative Templates-->Network-->QOS Packet Scheduler-->Limit Reservable Bandwidth and set it to 0.

~~~~~

Tweaking Prefetch

Prefetch is one of the commonly overlooked components that can have a significant impact on system boot time. This tweak allows selection of which components will make use of the prefetch parameters. To see which files are gathered using each of the settings, clear the prefetch cache located at C:\Windows\Prefetch and then enable one of the settings. Clear the cache and repeat for each setting.

Start type and enter Regedit

Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters
Set Value Data: 3 = Prefetch All] Exit Registry and Reboot

~~~~~

Pandora.com

Pandora is a personalized music service that designs a customized radio station based on the music and artist you enjoy. The song or artist you typed in won't be played first but it will eventually come up. This gets around some copy write issues. You can pause and skip songs. http://www.pandora.com/

~~~~~

Internet Explorer tip

Hold Ctrl key and use mouse wheel to quickly / easily change text size.

~~~~~

Save !!!

Save a lot of money by calling the services you subscribe to and telling them you want to cancel. Or even cancel and get a super sweet deal to sign up again. Sirius radio charges over $15 per month. If you cancel they will send you email and call you asking you to rejoin for $4 per month.

This works very well with cell phone companies although you may have to wait till it's time for renewal.

I just did it a few days ago with my cable tv/internet provider and got a better deal that also included some movie channels I wasn't getting before.

This works at least 70% of the time on the first call with credit card companies. Call your credit card company and ask for a reduction in the interest rates... or 0% interest for the next 6 months - if you have debt that you can't pay off immediately. Since it cost the credit card company at least $200 to GET a NEW customer, they will "bend" easily to keep an old customer.
Just say: "I have received several offers in the mail from other credit card companies with lower interest rates to transfer my balance. I want a lower rate on my card, or I will have to switch."

If you don't get a reduction just call later. You may reach a more cooperative customer service rep.

Back
Top Bottom