Windows 7 2 routers (Netgear), same network

Liteon0800

Is there a guide on how to properly install two routers (both Netgear) on the same network? - in order for them to not conflict with one another?

Not that I know of, but if you would supply some details, like are they identical, are they both or either wireless, that type of thing, I suspect that someone here might be able to help.
Regards
Randy

Determine which one you are going to use as the primary router (the one that's plugged into your ISP provided device). Allow this one to continue serving DHCP and to remain the default gateway for your network. Determine the LAN side address of this router, probably something like 192.168.1.1. Examine the DHCP server option on the primary router and set the range of numbers to start at 3 (three) and end with 254 (two fifty four).
Connect your computer to the second router and bring up the interface (again probably something like (http://192.168.1.1) set this router's address to be 192.168.1.2 (write it down) and disable DHCP.
Now you can uplink them switch port to switch port (Cat 5 cable) (don't use the WAN port), should pretty much just work.
On the wireless side, keep the security the same, passphrase the same, channel the same, SSID the same (unless you want to know which one you're connecting to)., etc., You may want to check the documentation regarding different modes of operation some you can just configure as a range extender by toggling a check box on and off. Without knowing any specifics regarding your environment, I can only make a best guess as to how you might be wanting to use the dual router setup.
Regards
Randy

ok thanks - now what if i wanted to make the second router a whole new network.

could i simply plug it to the other router and set it up as a separate network?

Yes, in that case you would want to use the WAN port on the second router, it would be configured as getting it's IP schema through DHCP from the first router, and you would want to turn back on DHCP but configure the LAN side to a different subnet, say something like, 192.168.2.1 for the router address and 192.168.2.2 through 192.168.2.254 for DHCP allocations. On the wireless side of the second router, you'd probably want to use a different SSID, maybe even a different channel.
I have that same setup in my house SSID's are WE and WE2 and channel 9 on my primary and 6 on my secondary, both use the same security encryption and passphrase. Works fine. No issues.
Regards
Randy

Back