23 percent of Steam customers run Windows 7 already

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Interesting, the Windows 7 aoption rate certainly is picking up well. The latest Steam hardware survey shows almost a quarter of Steam's user base has already adopted Windows 7. One of the biggest questions surrounding the Windows 7 launch would be whether gamers would adopt the new operating system, or stick with the tried and true Windows XP. The latest Steam hardware survey for December shows that almost a quarter of Steam's user base has already adopted Microsoft's latest OS, and has been abandoning the 32-bit Windows XP for 64-bit versions of Windows 7. The success of DirectX 11 has been tied into the Windows 7 OS, but DX11 can also be installed on computers running Windows Vista. Over 50% of Steam users are capable of supporting DX11 on the software side through Windows 7 or Vista, but unfortunately Steam isn't keeping track of DX11 video cards yet.

23 percent of Steam customers run Windows 7 already

Just a quick update based of the current active surveys...

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Last edited:
Those numbers are even higher now - check out this article:
Link Removed - Invalid URL

Last edited:
That's because all gamers need Windows 7. Uses almost no RAM usage, you can run it without having to worry about the resource hogging of Vista.

Steam Updates Its Code To Optimize Downloads

Steam, the immensely popular digital video game distributor, announces in a news release this afternoon that it has made some changes to its behind-the-scenes code, server and client side, to optimize downloads.
The new content system is designed to do two things: deliver better download rates in more places around the world, and also to simply streamline the publishing process on Steam, ultimately making it possible to ship more games than we would have been able to with the old system.
Steam Updates Its Code To Optimize Downloads | 404 Tech Support

Windows 7 is good for Steam, Once I had Windows XP computer steam didn't work right so now I have Windows 7 and I'm assuming that Windows 7 would be great for steam.

Back