Windows 7 32 bit - Anyone running 4+ gb memory?

zx6r1033

I know 32 bit operating systems in the past wouldn't read more than 3-3.5gb of memory, but I don't know if that is inherent to the 32 bit OS, or if it was just for the older systems. I am curious to know if W7 will read more than 3gb of memory.

By design, 32 bits operating systems won't adress more than 3 gigs of RAM. To do so, you'll have to install the x64 edition of XP, Vista or 7. I'm on the x64 wagon since Windows XP x64 edition, and never regretted it. Great compatibility with 32 bit software if needed, and you can install as much RAM as needed in your box. Simple and effective, really.

By design, 32 bits operating systems won't adress more than 3 gigs of RAM. To do so, you'll have to install the x64 edition of XP, Vista or 7. I'm on the x64 wagon since Windows XP x64 edition, and never regretted it. Great compatibility with 32 bit software if needed, and you can install as much RAM as needed in your box. Simple and effective, really.

Yes windows 7 32X wont go past the limit . Pity but we are stuck with it :( I now run a 64X for windows 7 so memory is no problem but my mother board is . Can only take 4 gig of memory .

I know 32 bit operating systems in the past wouldn't read more than 3-3.5gb of memory, but I don't know if that is inherent to the 32 bit OS, or if it was just for the older systems. I am curious to know if W7 will read more than 3gb of memory.

You can put 4GB's in a 32 bit version of Windows.... ;) Chances are you'll only actually be able to 'use' around 3.5GB for your applications... the rest will simply be distributed amongst things like your gpu, sound card, etc... :)

64 Bit is definitely the way to go though if you need/want more than 4GB's of RAM.. :)

Yeah, my laptop supports 64 bit operating systems, and will run vista 64 easily, but not so much luck with W7 64. It boots fine right after you install it, but right after your first update, it crashes and refuses to boot. Trying to restore or boot into safe mode... or any other option... doesn't work, and it appears to happen regardless of the update.

:(

That's odd.. if it can run Vista x64 fine than it shouldn't have any problems running Windows 7 64 bit.. ;) Are you sure you had all your motherboard drivers installed? Crashes are a common result of missing mobo drivers.. ;)

That's odd.. if it can run Vista x64 fine than it shouldn't have any problems running Windows 7 64 bit.. ;) Are you sure you had all your motherboard drivers installed? Crashes are a common result of missing mobo drivers.. ;)

Yes thats a certain . Very strange you cannot run windows 7 . Need more info on your problems with windows 7 .

Ok, here goes...

Fresh install of Windows 7 64 bit: Runs perfect. Finds multiple updates. The key updates are the Graphics driver for my ATI Radeon 3100, x64 ACPI support for Toshiba Laptops, and Synaptic touch mousepad. It also returns a couple of others, but I cannot remember what they are.

On my first install, I selected all updates. Install, reboot... bluescreen. On reboot I tried to go into safe mode. I was bluescreened again. (Normally that points to the major drivers, if I'm not mistaken. ) I rebooted and tried to restore/repair with the installation disk, but after about 45 minutes of waiting, it returned an error message along the lines of "Windows has attempted to fix your problem. If your computer does not restart properly, you will have to reinstall Windows." I rebooted and got bluescreened. Reinstalled.

Second installation, I decided to go one driver update at a time to see if I could figure out which one was causing it. I started with the ACPI driver. Reboot... bluescreen. followed the same steps trying to recover, but ended up reinstalling.

third installation, I decided to reboot the computer a few times before tackling the updates. Reboots were all successful. This time I decided to install the ATI Radeon driver update. Reboot... bluescreen. Followed all of the previous steps yet again... ended up reinstalling.

Fourth install, I decided probably the Synaptic mouse wouldn't be an issue, but I found it odd that both of the driver updates would crash the computer, so I decided to test Windows 7's update program. I set the automatic updates up to the point where it was ready to install the updates, but I cancelled out of it and rebooted the computer 3 times. Everything worked fine. I decided to try downloading the drivers I needed manually, so I went to Toshiba and grabbed the ACPI drivers (Motherboard drivers and ACPI are all in the same install file through toshiba), and installed them. Reboot... Bluescreen. Followed the previous steps, ended up reinstalling.

Fifth install, I skipped the updates and went for my ATI graphics drivers VIA ATI's website. Installed the drivers, reboot... bluescreen. Attempted recovery, no luck.

I never tried for a sixth install... I just installed W7 32 bit, and I have had that running ever since.

I had Vista 64 bit on this same laptop for 6 months prior to my installation of Windows 7, and never had so much as one hiccup. Everything worked perfectly, and I never once had a crash of any kind.

Likely problem:
The drivers for the 64 Win7 is bad. Not the Windows 7 64 being incompatible with your computer.

To find the exact driver having the issue (if you can be bothered):
After you have done the updates and the issue appears. Hit F8 at boot (to get to the boot screen) and enable "Boot logging". You then use a Live CD of sorts (think mini XP on Hirens Boot Disk, and other such CD's that will allow NTFS browsing). Then navigate to C:\Windows\ntbtlog.txt and open up that file and print it or save it or something (use a bit of paper if needed). And find what drivers are failing to load on boot (and are therefore the most likely causers of the issue at hand)

ok I will reinstall 64bit tonight and go through it. I REALLY want 64 bit on there.

Update: Reinstalled 64 bit.

I didn't update, just restart. Bluescreened. Enabled boot logging and grabbed the log afterward. This was the last driver it attempted to load before the system crashed.

Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\usbaudio.sys

Restarted the computer, and tried to boot into safemode. It hung on this one:

Loaded: \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\Winpnp.sys

Shout out if something goes wrong (as in, before you give up and just delete it), we'll try to help :). If you know how:

Make it a dual boot, so you still have a working copy of Win7, that way you won’t need a Live CD :). And if something goes wrong, well you can easily tell us. It would be much easier for you.

In short (if you don’t know how to make a dual boot system), create another partition and install Windows to that, and DONT TOUCH THE 32 BIT ONE until the 64bit one is fully installed and working. This will make sure you can boot into both :p .

If you don’t know how to make partitions and what not (i don’t know what your skill level is) you can google it. Its quite simple.

Good luck mate :)

EDIT: If it screws up again after finding out what the issue is and attempting to rectify it (but hopefully after you use "Enable Boot Logging" we will find out the EXACT culprit). Simply, don’t update :p

I updated my previous post, but I think I was a bit late. lol.

Update: Reinstalled 64 bit.

I didn't update, just restart. Bluescreened. Enabled boot logging and grabbed the log afterward. This was the last driver it attempted to load before the system crashed.

Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\usbaudio.sys

Restarted the computer, and tried to boot into safemode. It hung on this one:

Loaded: \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\Winpnp.sys

I reformatted the HD and reinstalled 64 bit a second time. Without touching a thing, I rebooted. Again, I got bluescreened. This time around, I can't even get the Linux kernal to load on my Ubuntu live CD, so I can't get to the boot log.

As for my skill level, I would say higher than average, but not being able to figure this problem out is making me feel like I have skills equal to my grandmother (who is anti-computer). :frown:

With the safemode, it will be whatever is after winpnp.sys is causing the problem.

But just try to boot regularly with Boot Logging Enabled, and get that file, download Hirens Boot Disk (which has mini XP) if you need it (ill PM it to you if you want) and go to C:\Windows\ntbtlog.txt

The full list is needed to be able to troubleshoot effectivly. Oh not sure if you mentionend it, but what build is it? 7000? 7100? 7068? 7077? etc.

But, if it IS usbaudio.sys which is the problem. What type of sound card do you have?

I am using onboard sound. (Toshiba Satellite L305D).

Windows build 7100 (RC), but the issue also occurred with 7077 and 7000.

Microsoft (R) Windows (R) Version 6.1 (Build 7100)਍ഀ
4 28 2009 00:39:59.375਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\hal.dll਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\kdcom.dll਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\mcupdate_AuthenticAMD.dll਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\PSHED.dll਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\CLFS.SYS਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\CI.dll਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\Wdf01000.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\WDFLDR.SYS਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\ACPI.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\WMILIB.SYS਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\msisadrv.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\pci.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\vdrvroot.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\partmgr.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\compbatt.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\BATTC.SYS਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\volmgr.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\volmgrx.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\pciide.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\PCIIDEX.SYS਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\mountmgr.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\atapi.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\ataport.SYS਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\msahci.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\amdxata.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\fltmgr.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\fileinfo.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\msrpc.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\ksecdd.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\cng.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\pcw.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Fs_Rec.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\ndis.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\NETIO.SYS਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\ksecpkg.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\tcpip.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\fwpkclnt.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\vmstorfl.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\volsnap.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\spldr.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\rdyboost.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\mup.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\hwpolicy.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\fvevol.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\disk.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\CLASSPNP.SYS਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\cdrom.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Null.SYS਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Beep.SYS਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\vga.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\RDPCDD.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\rdpencdd.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\rdprefmp.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Msfs.SYS਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Npfs.SYS਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\tdx.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\afd.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\netbt.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\wfplwf.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\pacer.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\vwififlt.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\netbios.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\wanarp.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\termdd.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\rdbss.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\nsiproxy.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\mssmbios.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\discache.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\csc.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\dfsc.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\blbdrive.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\tunnel.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\amdppm.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\CmBatt.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\dxgkrnl.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\atikmdag.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\Rt64win7.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\athrx.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\vwifibus.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\usbohci.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\usbehci.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\HDAudBus.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\i8042prt.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\kbdclass.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\mouclass.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\CompositeBus.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\AgileVpn.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\rasl2tp.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\ndistapi.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\ndiswan.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\raspppoe.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\raspptp.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\rassstp.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\rdpbus.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\swenum.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\umbus.sys਍ഀ
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\vga.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\usbhub.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\NDProxy.SYS਍ഀ
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\NDProxy.SYS਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\HdAudio.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\ksthunk.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\agrsm64.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\modem.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\usbccgp.sys਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\USBSTOR.SYS਍ഀ
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\usbaudio.sys਍ഀ

Ok, this may sound like a CRAZY idea.

I havent had much experience with Toshiba laptops, but see if you can disable audio in the BIOS in your Toshiba. And also, disable the back VGA port as well.

I would suggest waiting for the RC to be officially released.. then download it from Microsoft's site.. ;) Then try installing that and see if you have better luck.. I hope you do. I hate to see fellow Win 7 users be left out in the cold.. ;)

Likely problem:
The drivers for the 64 Win7 is bad. Not the Windows 7 64 being incompatible with your computer..........

I would agree with Mattisdada here - not all the Windows provided drivers are safe to use. The updater notified me that there were some new drivers available for my ethernet ports, but after I installed them I couldn't find my network, connect to the internet - it had just killed the ports. Tried to revert back but Windows insisted these were the correct drivers and no matter what I did refused to allow the old drivers to be re-installed. In the end I simply reformatted and started off afresh. :(

Back