Windows 8 3rd party imaging and UEFI

Peterr

Fantastic Member
Hello
To recover an image am I better off using the Windows PE 4.0 disc that is made with this 3rd party imaging program to recover an image or, enable legacy if I have it?

Without legacy should I disable secure boot control and launch csm or use the disc I referred to?
I would return all I changed to the original state.

Thank you
Peter
PS I understand there is a n imaging program in Win 8.1 at file recovery; I do not know if it is reliable.

I use the Windows imaging utility. The 8.1 update caused some problems related to Recovery Partition size, but it either makes backups or gives that error. Problems also might occur if trying to re-image and you only have recovery media for the other Windows version which does not match the actual image.

As far as Third Party imaging software, I do not run one. There are probably new versions that will adjust for the PE 4 issue to which you refer. If your software does not make bootable media for recoveries, I would think the PE 4 media would be best.

If you are running a UEFI system, you need to boot in that mode. You may have to enable the CSM to allow that media to boot, as you have to do for Windows 7, but the secure boot option should still be enabled to ensure you are booting to UEFI. Of course there are many bios varieties and they certainly do not all use the same conventions for their settings.

I find it interesting that you use the Windows recovery system I think I understand the update issue has been worked out so that it is usable and reliable. I have had a 3rd party free for a decade which never failed me. I will have to go through some gymnastics to use it with UEFI.
I assume I can use both so with go ahead and create Win image now and keep my 3rd party.
The Windows system is probably easier.
With my 3rd party we recover with a disc. Do you use the Windows recovery within Windows or do you use a disc also?
Can you use a disc if you cannot recover within Windows?
Thank you for your help
Peter

I don't think I would use two different imaging utilities, but that is just me. The reason I do not want to use a Third Party system is of what it installs on your system to enable it to watch for changes it might need when doing its backups.

As far as I know, if you need to recover an image, you have to boot to a recovery media of some type. The Windows imaging is fairly basic and does not allow changing partition sizes or restoring an image and does wipe the entire drive being restored. Your Third Party software probably has more options.

Try to use software that is UEFI compatible. Using one that might not be, could end up with problems.

I will have to go through some gymnastics to use it with UEFI.
If you tell use exactly what happens when you boot the media, we may be able to tell you which setting needs changing. For instance, if Windows 8 Secure Boot is in place, you may be thrown back to the bios or given some type of error message instead of completing the boot process. I have heard you need PE 4 for Windows 8.1, but I don't use anything but the original install media or a recovery drive made within Windows 8.1 for my imaging.

Presently I have the older 8.1 BIOS so use my recovery disc and tap F12.
I have read as much as I can about UEFI so the transition will not be so severe. I am at the forum to get ideas for the upgrade.
For example you mentioned that the Windows recovery programs wipes the partition clean. I assume this occurs when recovering not imaging?
I have one partition and am not skilled enough to create partitions though I have watched tutorials.

I guess what I am concluding is to not use 2 imaging programs, use my 3rd party for now, and continue to research the Windows UEFI recovery.

The UEFI recovery's seeming simplicity is what attracted me to using it. However, with the older BIOS I would have some things to disable and enable which I already stated.

incidentally, and not to stray, I have really been studying the Chromebook as my wife is more pc illiterate than I and I want her to have something quite easy, which I find that it is. The newer automatic extension converters really simplified it.

Back