Windows 8 5Ghz Wifi Compatiablity

OmegaGlaxy

So I have recently switch over to 5ghz wifi, I look up how to check the 5ghz wifi compatiablity, it state that if my computer have 802.11a or 802.11n network modes it's compatiable to 5ghz wifi. My Windows 8 computer have 802.11n. That should be mean my 5ghz wifi should be showing up, but its not. My Iphone 5S is able to connect to my 5ghz wifi. But my computer is not. Any idea?
The way I check is type "netsh wlan show drivers" In Cmd, then i look at Radio types supported, it listed as 802.11b, 802.11g, and 802.11n.

Firstly the wifi G and N (data speed of the network) has nothing to do with the frequency that the wifi is being broadcast at (2.4 or 5 GHZ). They are completely separate. You can still have a wireless device setup on the 5ghz frequency that's uses G (the speed of the network connection). G is = 54 Gbps and N is = 150, 300 Gbps and higher. Your laptop has to have the ability built in to use the higher frequency along with your wireless router.

What you can see might depend on your router. Some have good indications of activity over certain networks and some do not. How is the higher band set up in your router, and what model router do you have?

Do you have anything that shows the signal strength of each of the bands?

My wifi router model is Nighthawk R7000(One Of The Newest Routers). I have no experience in this type of stuff. Where do i find the configuration of bandwidth for my router? Just in case i going put down some of my basic setup that i find in my wireless setup
Wireless Network (5Ghz a/n/ac)
[On]Enable SSID Broadcast
Name (SSID): Gaming
Channel: 153
Mode: Up to 1300 Mbps
Also how do i check if my PC and router have the ability built in?

Your router has a Internet port monitor which might give you an indication of the traffic on the different radios.

My router has a Network Traffic Monitor where I can watch the traffic on either of the radios. Something you may want to try, say for testing, is put the two radios on different SSIDs. You could then connect to whichever radio you wanted to test by connecting to that SSID and looking at the receivers for signal strength and traffic.

One radio may be better for some things, and the other more useful for others. If you were in a busy area, it might be advantageous to use the 5 GHz radio since it may not be as busy as the other one.

I found my 2.4 GHz seemed to have a stronger signal, but was susceptible to things like microwave ovens.

My new router is an ac router also and I found it to be much better at streaming video than my old router. Don't know for sure if it is the ac part, or the addition of the external antenna, or a combination of the two.

Back