Windows 10 6/11 update wiped out my system?

IrvSp

Extraordinary Member
Big problems today....

KB4465065 install. Said it would take some time, OK. Started d/l'ing. Took some time and then the reboot. Completed with a lot of disk thrashing. Then the reboot. Very long time and it said it would reboot a few times. Got to 27% slowly, with it staying at some percentages and jumping some numbers. At 27% it did NOT reboot, but powered off! Manually powered it back on, and it did bring up the spotlight screen after sometime and then a black screen with the mouse pointer. Stayed like that for a long time with the disk light on. Not sure so I left it for an hour. Power off and and on and it didn't boot? Got out my Acronis DVD and was able to recover the C: drive and boot. Ran DISM and it didn't find any problems?

Looked at the UPDATES and a few were ready (restore to before today and before some updates were installed but not the KB one) and let them install and after reboot I am again up. I got some more updates now to do, KB4503327 and the Adobe Flash, which installed fine before. Going to do that.

Not sure what to do after that though?

Siting at "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1903" ready to install?

At this point I don't see how to stop it? I just ran an Acronis Backup at this point on the C: drive only. Reluctant to try again?

A feature update is a completely new build of Windows. These can take a long time (over an hour) depending on your system specs.

I have also run into problems with this update.

Do a search for ”Windows 10 version 1903 error ____.” That should yield some useful suggestions for resolution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, it DID take a long time. Basically stopped counting @ 27%, then it did reboot, stopped @48%, rebooted @ 71%, and finished.

How did I 'fix it'?

I saw some other older Windows updates had problems with USB drives attached. I have 2 USB devices. An External Desktop drive and a USB Network Adapter. Disconnected the Network Adapter and tried again. It worked fine?

Some 'quirks' have to work out, probably due to some changes I made. The taskbar letters are BLACK on BLUE, hard to read :), sound was LOW, had to change it. I'm sure I'll discover other problems too.

Working though...

Yeah, it seems... we'll see what happens on my wife's PC I guess? Both have USB external hard drives and network adapters, but never hit that problem before?

I thought it might have been my C: drive size? I had a fairly small SSD by today's standards. Checked the free space after the update came down and I had around 15GB's left. I guess that wasn't the problem, and wife has a lot more free space.

What was 'nasty' was Windows knew it failed somehow and when I powered it back on it said "Undoing Changes made to your computer". Took a long time for the Spotlight screen to appear and then went black with a mouse pointer in the middle. Disk was clearly thrashing, but after quite a bit of time (at least 45 minutes) nothing changed but some blinks on the drive light.. Disk was hosed at that point, even the boot record was gone. What a mess, but Acronis restored it fine.

Were any of the external drives formatted in ExFat by chance? Ran into this problem twice now with newer WD drives and older computers where the drives come formatted ExFat and it can cause not only boot issues but specifically Windows upgrade issues. Maybe doesn't apply in your case, I'm just wondering :)

Yes, they were initially. Completely baffled me too. These both are the newer PC/MAC drives. Older models came NTFS and instructions to format to the MAC filesystem if used on a MAC. ExFat of course didn't need to be.

I have Dell's. Put the drive on and XPS model, added files, the next day, could not boot? Huh? Well, Windows can read the drive, Dell's BIOS can't and found the drive and was trying to read if it was bootable. Disconnected the drive, Dell booted. Quickly formatted to NTFS.

In this case though, that wasn't the issue.

As it turns out, I sort of 'lied' above. I discovered recently it wasn't the External Drive I disconnected but the Netgear A6200 USB network adapter. I was wondering why I was 'slower' that normal, and the XPS 2.4Ghz built-in Adapter was used by the Update as I disconnected the A6200, the 5Ghz AC speed wireless. Plugged that back in and test booting, all works fine.

The ExFat format I guess could cause the same problem for an Update if it tries to reboot the PC, but you'd think that is done by the BIOS, not the Update?

The ExFat boot issues are usually related to an older BIOS that does not understand the format.

Back