Windows 7 7600.16385 "hung" during install

I just attempted to install version 7600.16385 x64. It remained an attempt as the install simply "hung" and couldn't continue after a reset. I haven't had this problem with any previous versions of NT 6.1, including RC 7100 (and later). Apparently something has changed in this version making it hardware-incompatible with the machine I was installing on (HP mh9452, less than a year old). Has anyone else encountered this ? IIRC there were a lot compatibility problems with older hardware when NT 6.0 was released but I can install that without problems on hardware that pre-dates that release by 4 years.

I just attempted to install version 7600.16385 x64. It remained an attempt as the install simply "hung" and couldn't continue after a reset. I haven't had this problem with any previous versions of NT 6.1, including RC 7100 (and later). Apparently something has changed in this version making it hardware-incompatible with the machine I was installing on (HP mh9452, less than a year old). Has anyone else encountered this ? IIRC there were a lot compatibility problems with older hardware when NT 6.0 was released but I can install that without problems on hardware that pre-dates that release by 4 years.
If you could install previous versions, it is likely that your DVD is corrupt. Try burning the image at a slower speed and download a different image (there are tons out there) if the problem persists.

If you downloaded from a torrent site it may be corrupt to start with. Did you get the actual RTM iso or one of the ones pieced together? Did it pass hash check?
Joe

If you could install previous versions, it is likely that your DVD is corrupt. Try burning the image at a slower speed and download a different image (there are tons out there) if the problem persists.

I am installing from a USB thumbdrive. The image used is the RTM image. I know the chinese one is good too (for a VM) but the one I used here matches RTM in terms of size, SHA1 and MD5 hashes. It installed without a problem in a Sun VirtualBox, I used the thunbdrive a couple of days later to install NT 6.0 server on my laptop so the thumbdrive is okay too and I installed Ubuntu 9.04 from a thunbdrive on this computer using the same USB slot too so it isn't that either. That rules out just about every other reason for hardware incompatibility other than NT 6.1 itself.

If you downloaded from a torrent site it may be corrupt to start with. Did you get the actual RTM iso or one of the ones pieced together? Did it pass hash check?
Joe

Yes, the size and hashes match those of 7600.16385 (the MS one, not the chinese one). Also, the iso installed in a virtualbox without a problem.

Windows 7 hardware incompatibility issue

Yesterday I reinstalled NT 6.0 server (aka windows 2008) x64 on the computer (HP mh9452) wothout a hitch. I used the same USB stick I used previously to install Windows 7 RC without a hitch. Exactly the same procedure using exactly the same hardware doesn't work for Windows 7 (NT 6.1 client) RTM. There is _definitely_ a hardware compatibility issue in the RTM (7600.16385) that wasn't there in the RC (7100) and isn't there in NT 6.0 SP2 client or server.

So are you using a copy that was obtained via a torrent site? If so, then that's the risk you take when using those.. ;)

So are you using a copy that was obtained via a torrent site? If so, then that's the risk you take when using those.. ;)

That depends. Tha SHA1 hashes and ISO sizes were first published on the the 16th. After the first lot of ISO's, most of which matches the hashes of the chinese ISO the ISO with the correct hashes was made available. Basiccaly the chinese one was good too. The SHA1 of the whole ISO didn't match with that of the Microsoft ISO but that doesn't mean anything. It's the hash of the install.wim that matters. Anyway, the ISO I was using has these:

SHA1: 326327CC2FF9F05379F5058C41BE6BC5E004BAA7
SIZE: 3,224,686,592 Bytes

According to my sources that makes it a Microsoft iso. As I'm switching to Linux anyway it doesn't matter anymore.

Just because the HASH matches doesn't mean it's not infected with Malware or something worse.. ;) I'm sorry to hear your leaving Windows 7, Linux is an awesome OS as well but in my opinion Windows 7 is just as good.. :)

Just because the HASH matches doesn't mean it's not infected with Malware or something worse.. ;) I'm sorry to hear your leaving Windows 7, Linux is an awesome OS as well but in my opinion Windows 7 is just as good.. :)

Radennight, do you actually know what your talking about ? If one single bit out of the 8 times 3 Gigabytes in the iso is changed, the hash doesn't match anymore. It's impossible to change an iso without changing the size or the hash. None of the Vista's I ever installed for real use have ever matched the hash because they've been slipstream and gutting. By me. They work like a charm. The version of Windows you get preinstalled on a new PC isn't even original MS windows, it's been trashed by an OEM.

WHEN THE HASH AND SIZE OF AN ISO MATCH THE FIGURES PUBLISHED BY MICROSOFT THAT MEANS THAT ISO IS _THE_ OFFICIAL RTM. It isn't something that might or might not resemble the RTM, it _IS_ the RTM. The original, unmodified image as released by Microsoft. Let me put it another way:

Suppose you know Barak Obama's social security number, that the middle toe on his left foot is missing and his exact length in nanometers. You meet some guy in the street who claims he's Barak Obama and he's the president of the United States. Of course you don't believe him. He then shows you his ID and the number on it matches the one you happen to know. He also pulls off his left shoe and shows you that the middle toe is missing. You measure his length and it also matches. It doesn't almost match, it matches exactly, to the nanometer. Would you then still say that that doesn't mean a thing and he might as well be someone else ?

With David Cutler working on the NT kernel Microsoft probably has the best software engineer on the planet. Windows and Linux are both crap. Before Cutler started working for Microsoft he worked on VMS. Now _that_ is a truely awesome OS. If Cutler had had it his way, Windows would have made Unix look like a pile of shit by now. Cutler has always wanted to do just that: make Unix look like a pile of shit. He, amongst others, did it once with VMS.

Back