A New Hard Drive for Windows 7

tblount

The experts agree with my strong recommendations to get a new hard drive with Windows 7

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/hard-drive-upgrade,2515.html

This is from my webpage http://win7secrets.com

YOU WILL NEVER REGRET BUYING A NEW HARD DRIVE BECAUSE:

1. All hard drives eventually fail. AND most SEAGATE 7200 rpm drives fail within a few months.

Google Seagate Bricked if you have a Seagate drive... and protect your data.

2. The price is incredibly cheap now.

I've even seen deals for 1 TB drives for $50 including shipping. That's 5
cents/GB. My first "big" hard drive (30 yrs ago) was an 80 MB USED drive for
$180. That comes out to $1,000 per GB !!!

3. A new SATA 7,200 rpm drive will most-likely be bigger and faster than your old drive.

4. When Win 7 is installed and customized you can EASILY clone your new drive to your old drive.

5. You will have a working BOOTABLE backup of your old system, should there be a big problem with your Windows or you primary drive.

If you get a Western Digital or Seagate brand the WD website has a link to a FREE version if Acronis True Image that works with these hard drive brands. This is an EXCELLENT program that will clone one hard drive to another making it bootable. More on that later but you may want to take that into consideration when you make your purchase. DEFINITELY get a 7,200 rpm drive! When you run the Widows 7 performance index the hard drive USUALLY has the lowest number. Slower hard drives decrease performance significantly.

Open your system case and UNPLUG YOUR PRIMARY DRIVE (with Vista or whatever)then install the new hard drive. Boot and press "some key" to go into your bios and set the boot sequence to your usb or dvd drive and save the setting and exit. It should reboot into the Windows 7 install. Go to Custom and do the install... otherwise it will be trying to find a previous version of Windows to do an upgrade. You may have to use the tools and format the new drive first, but the install will probably prompt you if you need to do that. This is why it is very IMPORTANT to unplug your primary drive. You don't want ANY confusion about which drive you are formatting.

The price of SSD's are coming back down rapidly and they have the potential to really blow away the competition. Lets not forget SATA 3.0. Look at this... you're going to have SSD's that can boot the OS, maybe even in a RAID-0 (I do this now), and if you ever run out of space, you an always get an old SATA drive with moving parts for storage.. hmm?

Yes, I have had a discussion with someone with that uses the SSD and they assured me that the new version do not have the lags, freezes and jerks that the original SSD's were plagued with.

As for reliability, I've been storing/backing up my most important documents on web servers or simply attaching them to an email and shooting them to yahoo or gmail. They are backed up on very reliable systems and available from any computer with internet access.

Back
Top Bottom