Windows 7 A Zip file will not close or delete from my desktop display.

Phil Juvet

I received a zipped file from someone. I downloaded it and opened it. It contained sub folders which each contained a page of a booklet. I decided to trash the whole file. I deleted it from the recycle bin. Later when I
closed other windows on my desktop, I found one of the open pages from the deleted zip folder. There is no way to close this window and right click does not give me the option to delete. How do I rid myself of this annoying open window? Thanks for any advice in advance. Phil

Have you considered doing a system restore, picking the date before you downloaded the zipped file as your restore point ?
If you don't know how to do system restore, please post back.
Thank you.

These can be a nuisance. If it's a mere file / folder, it should be quite easily deleted. There's a tiny but neat program called Unlocker http://www.emptyloop.com/unlocker/ that might be helpful, since Windows sometimes gets stuck with things.

I would suggest that you check if you have installed some program with the zip. Accidentally.... ;)

I tried the Unlocker software. No joy. It came to me to check the desktop background. Sure enough, the zipped file page appeared in the desktop background. I changed the background to a solid color and the page is gone. How it got there I have no idea. Thanks for your help.

I'm not quite sure the visual disappearance means the true and actual disappearance of the file, factually. Being slightly paranoid, I would do a
1. Windows search for files on Desktop
2. Malwarebytes search for boogies
3. Entire scan for anything...

Hoping for the best, preparing for the worst. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom