Windows 7 Access is Denied - Local Disk C:\ is not accessible

Rongu

Hi everyone,

I have this problem in which, windows 7 basically locks up the hard drive.

Start > Computer > Hard Disk Drives(1) > Local Disk (C: \ >"Location is not accessible - C:\ is not accessible - Access is denied."

I can access other parts of the hard drive like c:\users\etc... but other than that I just can't open drive c:\ from anywhere or any command, and even in cmd.

I have included some pictures. Please anyone knows how to solve this problem let me know. Thank you.

- one thing I did notice is that there is no window icon on the hard drive, on my desktop, the there's a little windows icon, on top of the local disk drive c:\ on top of the share drive icon in the windows explorer -

Link Removed due to 404 Error[/URL

Last edited:
Hello,

I have exactly the same problem, it happened on May 23rd.
Although I cannot access my C drive, and it shows up as 0 bytes, with the exception of a few programs, the pc runs fine.

I've tried to reinstall from dvd, but as C isn't accessible, the install fails after loading temporary files.

Can anyone please help?

Last edited:
I found the way to get access to the hard drive... it doesn't solve the other problems ( admin rights ) but at least you will be able to acces your hard drive...

1- start in safe mode (command prompt)
2- CTRL + ALT + DEL and open the task manager
3- in Application, click on New Task
4- Click on Browse
5- on the explorer windows that just opened, right click on you C and go to security...

you can now add yourself and give you the admin right on the C

I am still trying to get all my admin rights... i will keep you posted

Cheers

I also had this problem, the way i got round it was to share the drive, by right clicking > Properties then sharing the drive like you would other drives. reboot. then you should have access to your drive again and be able to use it as normal.
As i use all my drives on my pc via a network i have left this drive as shared, but im guessing that if you no longer want to share the drive, just simply unshare it again.

Hope this helps

I have the same problem and I have gone through many steps to try to deal with this to no avail. I have used system restore points, images, changing permission to new users, shared the drive. Nothing. I have seen around internet that this is a pretty big issue and windows is reluctant to address it for *some* reason. I need to access my drives because I need to do work and this is getting pretty ugly. If there is an intelligent qualified being that can help me with step by step directions on how to solve this issue, I would be extremely grateful.

This solved my problem with this

1. right click c drive
2. left click authenticated users
3. check allow on all boxes
4. click ok on all the pop ups.
5. apply, ok
6. Drink a steel reserve :)

I have the same problem and I have gone through many steps to try to deal with this to no avail. I have used system restore points, images, changing permission to new users, shared the drive. Nothing. I have seen around internet that this is a pretty big issue and windows is reluctant to address it for *some* reason. I need to access my drives because I need to do work and this is getting pretty ugly. If there is an intelligent qualified being that can help me with step by step directions on how to solve this issue, I would be extremely grateful.

i already did that and I still have a problem accessing some content in the "User" folder and doing things such as copy, paste, make new folder, etc...
It says it has performed the action but nothing happens.

Yup - windows defender, spybot search and destroy, super anti spyware free edition, malwarebytes and even combofix. all turned out negative.
Btw with that problem still nibbling my computer - I cant update my PC... yeah... funfun

Good ! it seems everyone have the same f*u*cking windows problem !!!!

my Drive 'C' is not accessible of root, but i can access to other folders & sub folders on 'C', like 'Program Files' or 'Windows', or 'Users'
drive 'C' is shown, but there is no partition usage diagram...!

i have three partition on my laptop, yep, this problem is affected on my laptop for first time...
i use windows 7, x64, on 'C' 80 GB , and Ubuntu 11.4 on 'D' wich have only 50 GB partition size.

ASUS N53 SV is my laptop/

i think so this problem is given for me cause of manipulation of 'Security settings of Admin, SYSTEM and Users.!

in Security tab, Advanced, Owner Tab, i have tow group of users group, '1. Administrators, 2. my UserName.'
the permissions of advanced security have tow entires 'Administrators & SYSTEM' wich have 'FULL CONTROL', and 'Allowed'

cause i dont have any permissions to see or change any settings. so i cant, and the OS can't change anything !

the good reason is here, i can go on with 'Safe Mode' and i have full control to partition C, there is no problem in Safe Mode, everything is Okay., the only bad thing is in my User group !

i have backed up of my windows files before taked !

i thought the problems of my Recovery Softwares i'd installed before this problem happen right !

but nothing !

Attention: the Softwares like Recovery, Antivirus and such, have permissions, but only the 'User' doesn't have access !

and now, can someone help me to fix the Microsoft fu*cking OS??

http://i.imgur.com/6Gp82.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ld9ba.jpg?5044
http://i.imgur.com/RvIHl.jpg

tNQ!

Last edited:
Okay.

i found out !

i added my User Account's Name to Security permissions to 'Full Control' and now, everything is Okay.! ;):redface:

Back