Windows 7 Access windows XP with permissions?

Mastadj

I am trying to access my files in my windows XP drive and its prompting me that I need Admin rights (on my XP computer called djchad-mac). I tried typing in my credentials and so far no luck because windows 7 cannot find the other OS. I tried setting up a share and giving everyone access to the drive (which I do not want to do because of security issues) and still no luck! Any ideas?

Is the drive in the same computer or over a local network? I have 2 partitions on one drive, with no problems accessing files on the main C drive and related, but XP locks down any password protected accounts,. So if the main admin account has a password to logon, you cannot access those files. As for me, I cannot access my documents or anything on my main account because it is password protected. You could try to boot off of the XP and move what you need to a new folder on the main C: directory.

Well I guess you should boot up into it, and remove the password. Not like anyone is going to steal your HDD right? Even if they did, cracking the Windows password wouldn't be too hard.

I tried to do that but no luck. When I am in the advance security tab, I want to add the credentials for my XP computer. Here is what I have now.

XP Pro SP2 name is DJCHAD-MAC
Windows 7 name is DJCHAD-PC

I want to select the locations for my XP but its not finding it. Any other ideas?

Ok, I only use Win 7 part-time (I boot 4 different OS's), and I did not remember exactly what I did to access my XP partition.

The following should work for you (you do not need to be in safe mode for Windows 7).
Open Windows Explorer in Windows 7, right-click on the XP partition, choose Properties, then the Security tab. Under Groups or User Names, you should see several listed. Look for Administrators and Users.

If you are missing either one of theses, click on Edit > Add, and type Administrators in the box and click on Check names. Something like "DJCHAD-MAC\Administrators" should appear. Click on OK, then click on Add again and type Users in the box and click on Check names. Something like "DJCHAD-MAC\Users" should appear. Click on OK, OK, and OK. Now open the Security tab again (if you added Administrators or Users)

Click on Edit, then highlight "Administrators" and check the box for Full control. Next highlight "Users" and check the appropriate boxes (I have the "Read & execute", "List folder contents", and "Read" boxes checked). Click on OK and OK.

You can also do the above for specific folders instead of the entire partition, if you do not want access to the entire partition from Windows 7.

If you are missing either one of theses, click on Edit > Add, and type Administrators in the box and click on Check names. Something like "DJCHAD-MAC\Administrators" should appear. Click on OK, then click on Add again and type Users in the box and click on Check names. Something like "DJCHAD-MAC\Users" should appear. Click on OK, OK, and OK. Now open the Security tab again (if you added Administrators or Users)

I tried that before and this is the reason why I am asking for help. When I click on locations, djchad-mac isn't listed, only djchad-pc (windows 7). Also, the area is grayed out and cannot select or highlight anything. It doesn't make sence at all but I know there is a way somehow. I am complaning becuase only made a 40 gig partion for this OS and XP has a 100. I think tonight if I donot know what to do, I am going to start freash and make windows 7 bigger partition.

I tried that before and this is the reason why I am asking for help. When I click on locations, djchad-mac isn't listed, only djchad-pc (windows 7).

Don't click on Locations, but enter Administrators or Users in the box "Enter the object names to select", then click on Check Names.

If you still have trouble, you may have to add the drive from: Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Storage > Disk Management.

Last edited:
I tried that before and this is the reason why I am asking for help. When I click on locations, djchad-mac isn't listed, only djchad-pc (windows 7).

I believe there is a mistake in what I wrote previously. What you need to add is permissions for your Windows 7 user. I chose the same user names for both XP and Win 7, so it's kind of hard for me to tell which is which.

So if you give full access to DJCHAD-PC\Administrators and partial access to DJCHAD-PC\Users, I believe that will work.

Again, no dice. Even when I manually type it in to the machine it will say "Location djchad-mac cannot be found". I am getting to the point to reformat and redue my partitions the hard way if I cannot get access to this drive.

Back
Top Bottom