Windows 10 Activating Outlook 2016

DRE44

New laptop, Windows 10 already installed. Bought Microsoft Office at the same time. After initial setup, I decided to download Outlook 2016 as I was used to using Windows Live Mail on my previous laptop. The download was successful, but it required activation via Office. I installed Office and did all the activations required for that. Office is working properly. On returning to Outlook, clicking 'activate' brought up a message saying there is nothing on the computer that can be used to activate Outlook. The next advice I found was to install Office, but as I said, that was done earlier and works properly. I keep following each step as required but I'm going round in circles. How can I activate Outlook 2016?

If it won't activate it's generally due to a mismatch in the license purchased and the version installed. Confirm with where you purchased the license the version you paid for with what is installed.

Agreed, uninstall the entire Office suite on your machine utilizing one of the options in the following link: Uninstall Office 2016, Office 2013, or Office 365 from a PC - Office Support

I recommend the Fixitforme option and just be patient as it will take sometime to scrub the Office Suite.

Once done, reboot your computer. Next, login to your Office 365 account and look for the licensing section to make sure you don't have any duplicate license registrations. Then download the installer from your O365 account. Once done downloading, run the installer.

Sent from Droid Turbo 2

The real catch here is that there are many sources which sell versions of MS Office, such as MS OFFICE HOME AND STUDENT 2016 EDITION, which no longer have Outlook2016 in them. In this case, you tried to Activate or buy a copy of Outlook2016 that didn't come with the MS Office version you actually installed on your PC. For example, if you bought the MS OFFICE HOME AND STUDENT 2016 EDITION, that version of MS Office only comes with 4 programs:
1.) MS Word
2.) MS Excel
3.) MS PowerPoint
4.) MS Notes

No Outlook!!:eek: You can buy Outlook2016 separately, either on Media (DVD or USB) or via download; however, that program lists for $199, almost or more than you probably paid for your MS Office. You can try to sort this mess out yourself, but you would be better served as far as saving time, money, and frustration by taking your PC into your local repair shop and get a licensed Tech to do this for you.;)

If you insist on fixing it yourself, there are myriad number of versions of MS Office these days (about 20 or so for Home Users and Business Users); all of which is quite confusing.:skull: If you remove whatever version you have on there, you could simply go to Microsoft website and purchase either MS OFFICE 2016 STANDALONE (which comes with Outlook2016) for about $175 or so price varies. Or you can buy the MS OFFICE365 online subscription which also comes with Oultook2016 for $6.99-$8.99/MO. for 1 PC [this is the one I like]. Eventually, Microsoft will be phasing out standalone versions of MS Office in the next few years; I recommend you make the jump now to Office365--I really like it and have been using it on 5 of my PCs here for over 1 year. And you get the full Home User suite of 9 programs most commonly used including all the ones mentioned above, and Outlook2016, Publisher, Access and more. And you can manage your subscription online with a password-protected MS account as also mentioned. This is handy if your hard drive ever crashes, you get a nasty virus you can't fix, or someone steals your PC or it's damaged in a natural disaster such as flood, fire, earthquake, tornado, etc. Replace the drive or the PC, and once that PC is connected to the Internet, login to your MS Office Online account with your password and re-download and install your MS Office365 and your back going again!:up:

Some food for thought.
<<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>>

Thanks for all the advice. I've looked at the suggestions, and found other things which are supposed to work, but no success yet. It looks like it's because I bought the 'one-off' Office and not the annual renewal version. Pity this wasn't mentioned by the seller! I think I'll be going back for tech support!

You're welcome, glad to try and help!:up: And is the Seller you purchased the MS Office/Outlook 2016 from a Microsoft Certified Partner? If not, I would return it for refund and go to a legit source such as Best Buy, Newegg.com, or Amazon.com.:blink:

BBJ

Back