Activation problem

I had purchased Windows 8 and upgraded my PC with the latest OS. However, my motherboard burnt due to some issue and I had to replace my motherboard and processor. When I installed my copy of Windows 8 in my new motherboard, it says that my Product Key cannot be activated because it is installed in another PC.

I called Activation by Phone but after entering the numbers it says "Technical Error. Please try again later"

The error code is 0xC004C008. I cannot deregister the product key from my previous installation because that motherboard is burnt.

How should I activate my legal copy of Windows? I tried the customer support and not had much help. They keep redirecting me to the Activation by Phone and there I get the "Technical Error. Please try again later" issue.

davehc

Essential Member
Premium Supporter
Wasn't the previously installed OS still present on the HD?

It was an entirely different architecture. I was getting a boot error and I had to reinstall all over again.

Anyway, I got this solved. I am from India and the India customer support never worked with the "Technical Error. Please try again later" always. I had to make an international call to US Customer Support to get it resolved.

Wondering why the automated phone support is different in different countries for the same thing.

You didn't answer the question about a previous OS and you didn't state what the fix was/is. It would be nice if you posted this information as it might be helpful to others who might have the same problem or something very similar to yours.

Sonny

Excellent Member
I don't know why Technical support wouldn't help you. I had the same problem when I put in a new motherboard and also got the message That my windows 8 was used on another computer. I did call technical support and told them what my problem was. They directed my call to another party in activation and they did activate it for me. I would call them back and ask to speak to someone in the activation department and not let them direct you back to the automated way of doing it.

I did have my OS on my hard drive but apparently when you change out motherboards it isn't recognized.
Sorry didn't see where you got it fixed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mitchell_A

Essential Member
I don't know why Technical support wouldn't help you. I had the same problem when I put in a new motherboard and also got the message That my windows 8 was used on another computer. I did call technical support and told them what my problem was. They directed my call to another party in activation and they did activate it for me. I would call them back and ask to speak to someone in the activation department and not let them direct you back to the automated way of doing it.

I did have my OS on my hard drive but apparently when you change out motherboards it isn't recognized.
I think he used the automatic activation. He resolved the issue by calling the American number rather than the one for his country (India).

I did it using automated support. I never heard the option to talk to a technical support. Maybe because it was a weekend. Or probably I missed it.

Anyway, the India automated support always had the technical error whenever I tried. While the US automated support resolved it properly. That was why I was wondering why the automated support is different in different countries.

Mitchell_A

Essential Member
My only thought is that the product key may have been from a US batch, or wasn't in the Indian database. Idk.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.