Windows 7 Add A Printer Not Working

SystemOverride

OK I'm having a problem with adding a networked printer. I have a Lexmark X4650 Wi-Fi printer, but that's not where the problem starts.

When I go to Control Panel, open Devices and Printers, then click ADD A PRINTER, nothing happens... No wizard, no printer, nothing at all.

I'm using Windows 7 RC1 Build 7100.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so, any fixes?

OK I'm having a problem with adding a networked printer. I have a Lexmark X4650 Wi-Fi printer, but that's not where the problem starts.

When I go to Control Panel, open Devices and Printers, then click ADD A PRINTER, nothing happens... No wizard, no printer, nothing at all.

I'm using Windows 7 RC1 Build 7100.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so, any fixes?
Hi SystemOverride,

Some essental background information about your network will help us to visualize the situation you are facing much better. Otherwise only those who had the exact problem and gone through a long troubleshoot or luckily stumbled on to the right fix can answer your question. If you look at the networking section of this Forum you can see that the long troubleshoot is always on problems where the poster did not give all the information he or she had and used in the troubleshoot up to the point he(she) decided to post the question to the forum because he might have thought it is unnecessary to share the hardware and sofware info he had used up that time.
Are you able to View all the networked Computers in the Network view?
Can Other Computer View this Win 7 PC?
From the answers to these and from any additional Info you can post without infringing on your privacy I will try to help. :)

I am having the same sort of issue but regarding a USB connected Samsung printer. I am trying to manually add it but I am not sure what port I am suppose to use. If i remember correctly, in the order version of Win7 I used the USB serial port but for whatever reason that isn't working with the RC.

Any thoughts?

Option 1.
Have you tried running the installation from the CD which came with the printer - or download the latest drivers for either Vista x32 or Vista x64 from Lexmark's web site - the latest version is 1.2.5.2 released on 25th Nov 2008

Option 2.
Have you tried via 'Add New Hardware'

To do this open device manager, click on your computer name to highlight it and then right click and choose the 'Add Legacy Hardware' option. In the dialog box that opens choose the 'Install the hardware that I manually select from a list' then follow the chain until you are asked if you have a disk.

Option 1.
Have you tried running the installation from the CD which came with the printer - or download the latest drivers for either Vista x32 or Vista x64 from Lexmark's web site - the latest version is 1.2.5.2 released on 25th Nov 2008

Option 2.
Have you tried via 'Add New Hardware'

To do this open device manager, click on your computer name to highlight it and then right click and choose the 'Add Legacy Hardware' option. In the dialog box that opens choose the 'Install the hardware that I manually select from a list' then follow the chain until you are asked if you have a disk.

Great stuff just added to rep :)
One of your posts is worth four of mine = me bad :rolleyes:

Hi there
EASY SOLUTION

First for the USB printers (non Wifi)

I've posted on this before but to share Printers attached to XP computers with either X-64 or X-32 versions of W7 is SIMPLE. These instructions are for the Printer attached to the XP machine (but works in reverse as well).

("Stand alone" Network printers can be done slightly similarly BTW).

assume the computers are call XPMACHINE and W7MACHINE.

1) Ensure Printer on XP machine is shared - assume it's called SHAREDPRINTER.

2) On the Network Browsing on your W7 machine ensure you can "See" the Printer share.

Now on the W7 machine do the following (doesn't matter if it's X-86 or x-64).

3) Control Panel==> add LOCAL (Yes LOCAL) printer. I know it's on a Network but hold your horses -- what we are actually doing is "Poodlefaking" the W7 machine into thinking it's running the printer.

4) Create NEW port==>Local port

5) Portname is \\XPMACHINE\SHAREDPRINTER

6) Now W7 will load a driver and you'll be able to print on the XP machine.

Simple

If the printer is on the W7 machine and you want to print on the XP machine then do the same instructions on the XP machine --
port name in this case will be \\W7MACHINE\SHAREDPRINTER

If this is a Network / WiFI printer run this on ALL the computers who need access to the printer

Start at 3) - you don't need a printer name in this case just the IP address on the LAN.

at 4) chose TCPIP port
and at 5) enter the IP address of the printer on your LAN.

Cheers
jimbo

Last edited:
Hello, I just had trouble installing my Lexmark 1480 WiFi printer today. The installation drivers I downloaded from the site worked fine, I used the Vista drivers. For some reason the printer could not be detected. Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter was enable as a disconnected 'Wireless Network Connection 2" . I Disabled this dummy connection as well as disabling my Ethernet Adapter. Voila! Ran Lexmark driver software and the printer found my router and others in my building. Hope this helps.

GO TO [Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections]

@jimbo45: Thank you for your easy solution! 'Made all the difference in connecting my wife's new Windows 7 laptop to our Canon PIXMA ip6000D printer across the Wifi on the XP desktop machine.

- Chris

Back
Top Bottom