Windows 7 Added New HD, now Win 7 won't boot

mhjeff

Hi,
I had everything running great in win 7 rc, then I decided to add in a new HD and win 7 would not boot.
So I put everything back the way it was, and win 7 still won't boot.

I have 2 500GB SATA Intel Matrix RAID set I created when I first installed win 7. The RAID set comprises 2 partitions. The first partition C: drive contains my OS and other supporting files and the other partition D: has other files and stuff. I also have another stand alone 160GB SATA drive E: which was currently empty.
So the boot order in my BIOS was:
RAID Volume 1
RAID Volume 2
SATA 160GB

What I did was simply hook up an 80GB IDE drive that was already installed in my computer. The jumper is set to Master and I went into the BIOS to make sure the drives were in the correct boot order since adding the IDE drive automatically sets that drive as the first HD.
So I configured my drives in the BIOS as this:
RAID Volume 1
RAID Volume 2
SATA 160GB
IDE 80GB

After configuring the BIOS and restarting I get a message something like (paraphrasing):
"Boot Media Not Detected
Insert proper boot media and press any key to continue:"

Just pressing a key brings up the same message.

So I decided to disconnect the IDE drive and set up the BIOS the way it was before I tried to hook up the IDE.
Well I don't understand what's happening, but I keep getting that message. And I can't boot into windows as before.

Anybody know what's going on?

Am I all alone here?
There isn't a single sole on this board that has had any issues like this?
What's up with this place?

Sounds like the drive your os is on is not set "active". the drive/partion that is currently active has no bootable os.

Happened when you added/removed the 80 gb ide drive. You'll need a partition manager or something like FDISK to look at the partitions and set your boot os partition to "active". Has happened to me several times.

Back