Windows 7 Adobe releases 64-bit Flash Player 11 beta, AIR 3 with packager for Windows, Mac, Android

JMH

Adobe has released a beta version of Flash Player 11 and AIR 3. The AIR release is of limited interest since as yet there is no public SDK; Adobe mainly wants to test compatibility. That said, the announcement describes a key new feature, the ability to package AIR applications as standalone executables on Windows, Mac and Android. You can already do this on Apple iOS, a feature that was forced on Adobe by Apple’s refusal to allow application runtimes on iOS – unless they are WebKit or FileMaker. This is new for the other platforms though, and I assume comes as a result of the popularity of the iOS packager. The effect is that you no longer have to advertise the fact that your app runs on AIR or require users to obtain the runtime; your app will just work.
Adobe may have its eye on the Mac App Store, which will disallow applications that require a runtime. Extending the AIR packager to desktop OS X should get around that limitation.

Adobe releases 64-bit Flash Player 11 beta, AIR 3 with packager for Windows, Mac, Android « Tim Anderson’s ITWriting

This is excellent news. Hopefully I can now drop my 32bit browsers. I'm now running Firefox nightly 64bit and the 64bit flash and it works flawlessly.

Last edited:
Back