Fliptop

Hi there,

I have a server that connects to 2 routers, you may wonder why and here is my reason...

I have 2 internet connections, a cable connection that i use primarily for downloading on the server and nothing else, then i have an ADSL connection that i use for browsing and any other net activety on all other pc's. I connect to both on server to allow full networking capabilities wirelessly on all machines without having the need to connect to my cable router wirelessly, this all worked flawlessly with any previous OS.
I have 2 desktop pc's and a laptop.
My original setup used to be:
Server running w2k3
desktop running vista x64
laptop running vista x64
When they were as above i never had no issues with my network set up, everything was fine, server connected to cable router each and everytime and utilised it as it's internet connection and the ADSL router was primarily for Intranet.
Now since i upgraded server to windows 7 that does not happen, I have gone into network connection advanced settings and altered the order of network connections to how i want it, i.e.:

Cable Router 1st
ADSL Router 2nd

When set like this the server always connects to ADSL Router first and not the cable router, I have swapped leads over and tried to see if it binds to cable router first, but even in this configuration it binds to my ADSL router first.
I do not seem to be able to get windows 7 to connect to my adapters hows i set them in the settings and it is rather annoying, this so far is my only gripe with the OS and it seems such a shame to revert back to another OS over such an issue, but as you can understand, i do want it to work how i set it up and thus far this is not the case with windows 7, can anyone shed any light or even assistance with this dilema.

many thanks in advance

It seems like you are facing a network configuration issue with Windows 7 where the server is not connecting to the cable router as you have set in the network settings. Let's troubleshoot this problem by checking a few things:

1. Network Adapter Priority Settings:
- It's great that you have already attempted to adjust the network adapter order in the advanced settings. This should theoretically prioritize the cable router over the ADSL router.
- Double-check the network adapter priority settings to ensure that the cable router is indeed set as the first preference.

2. Network Binding Order:
- In addition to changing the network adapter priority settings, you might need to check the network binding order. This order determines how network protocols are bound to the network adapters.
- You can adjust the binding order to prioritize the cable router. To do this:
- Open the "Network Connections" window.
- Press the "Alt" key to display the menu bar, then go to "Advanced" > "Advanced Settings."
- In the "Connections" area, re-order the network connections so the cable router is listed first.

3. Drivers and Updates:
- Ensure that the network adapter drivers on your Windows 7 server are up to date. Outdated drivers can sometimes cause connectivity issues.
- Check for any Windows updates that might include fixes for network adapter prioritization.

4. Network Troubleshooting:
- Run network troubleshooting tools on Windows 7 to identify any specific issues related to the network adapters.
- Check the Event Viewer for any network-related errors or warnings that might provide insight into the problem.

5. Static IP Configuration:
- Consider setting static IP addresses for the server's network adapters connected to the cable and ADSL routers. This can sometimes ensure consistent connectivity.

By going through these steps, you should be able to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the issue of Windows 7 not connecting to the cable router as intended. If you encounter any specific error messages or issues during these steps, feel free to provide more details for further assistance.

Back