Windows 7 Advanced Disk Cleanup

As many of you are aware Windows 7 has it's own Disk Cleaner for cleaning stuff like temporary files.
This little app can be found via the Start menu although a much better version can be found via 'cmd prompt'. (see screen shot).

To set up the advanced cleaner right click on cmd prompt and 'run as admin'.
Then type:

cleanmgr/sageset:1

Hit enter and the Disk Cleanup box will appear although you'll notice that it has many more check boxes than the default one. Once the boxes have been ticked close the cleaner by clicking ok.
Once set up the cleaner can be run at anytime with this command:

cleanmgr/sagerun:1

Hit enter to set the cleaner in motion. You'll then see it run through the process much like the default cleaner does.

Happy Cleaning!

A simple one-liner, copied and pasted into a desktop shortcut will do the job nicely.

%SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr /sageset:65535 & Cleanmgr /sagerun:65535

The first time it runs, you must check off everything you want the program to delete.
I just check everything, but, Setup Logs and Office Setup files. Leave those unchecked.
Everything else is fare game, for deletion.

Good Luck!
O.T. :cool:

hi,

can anyone please clear it to me what is the difference between disk cleanup and disk defragmentation???

From my understanding ....... all disk defrag does - is just tidy up the disks, while disk clean-up eliminates unused files and such.

1st of all this clean-up method is already somewhere in the forum as a Sticky, the 1 line version. Been here since way back. But, still always a good thing to bring to folks awareness.

Defrag organizes. That's it. & everything, be it good or bad bits (or bytes, for that matter). There are things that are a result of that but, that's all it does. It's a myth that is fixes things.

Disc Clean-up does just that... like mops & brooms., takes care of the dust & dirt that's not wanted or needed. Maybe you can't/ don't see the stuff but, you vaccum your carpets wkly, anyway.

Both (help) enhance performance, speed & free space.

Cheers,
Drew

Oh, now, I get it... it is THIS old Sticky thread; just that someone recently stuck something unrelated in this thread, something misplaced, again!

Admin, do something about this, please. 3rd or 4th similar occurance in the last day or 2, all by the same person, hiqasim
Kindest Regards,
Drew

This is a great option to clean up a lot of junk files that's no longer needed. As long as you just want to empty everything. It doesn't overwrite anything. For someone who uses a computer for school & research, web browsing & forum posting, w/o giving away any personal info, this is great.

However, if you're making transactions (purchases, banking), then a utility such a CCleaner is in order. It overwrites the deleted data, making it hard to retrieve. Be sure not to select the "quick" (default) option, choose one of the overwriting methods on the list, 1,3,7 or 35 (overkill) times. Most of the time, 1 sweep is enough, 3 is plentiful. 7 & 35 overwrites is overkill, and it's been said that there is no advantage in a 35 time overwrite than a 7 time one.

Defragging your computer is a maintenance item, just like running regular virus scans. What happens is, over time, files gets broken into pieces, a single file can be scattered all over the partition. The computer runs faster when the files are defragged on a regular basis. With Windows 7, one can schedule defragging, or the user can choose from other free & paid software to do it instead.

I use Perfect Disk 12.5 for this. It runs 2 times per week, or if the drive is showing signs of fragmentation. Perfect Disk also has an Intelligent Write feature, which prevents fragmentation before it happens. While it's not perfect, it does a great job. I got the Family Pack for $39.99 from Raxco. The Family Pack is actually Perfect Disk/Perfect Speed combo. With 1 license, it can be installed on all computers sharing the same IP address.

Cat

Great post, But I was unable to see "Image"

Can you please let me know, what OPTION you have choose, Please?

since I am still learning w/ Windows 7 64Bite Home Pro.
I would love to know what setting you have.

Thank you, very much, Sir.

Note:

What difference does to do it w/ command VS Other software?
CCCleaner
Glary Utilities

Last edited:
Forgive me but, I looked back (a bit) in this thread I you will have to tell me to what exactly your query refers

"Great post, But I was unable to see "Image"

Can you please let me know, what OPTION you have choose, Please?

since I am still learning w/ Windows 7 64Bite Home Pro.
I would love to know what setting you have."

Please explain what things you inquiring; I hate guessing.

As for your note... Both clean up native to the OS & CCleaner are used to achieve the best goal possible. Ergo more than (just) one thing is used & there things one address that the other doesn't & vise versa so, ultimately all bases are covered better than if CCleaner is not, also, used.

Cheers,
Drew
Win8Logo (2013_02_06 10_30_24 UTC).jpg

You: 1A A much better version can be found via 'cmd prompt'. (see screen shot).
= Most be Image posted!

You; 2B Box will appear although you'll notice that it has many more check boxes than the default one
What boxes have you checked?

You: 3C Can you please let me know, what OPTION you have choose, Please?
Witch one would be Safe/Suggest, Please?

You; 4D Please explain what things you inquiring; I hate guessing.
If I can copy same check boxes you have, when you run 'CMD PROMPT' Above.

Thank you very much for your response.

Technically ALL the boxes can be checked. However, personally, I leave 3 unchecked. If you highlight each item, there is a description you can view to decide if it is something you want to have untouched or not. when this (method) is used the boxes need be checked only the 1st time this is used. Each subsequent time running (it) the previously selected boxes will remain checked.

The only thing I recommend is this be used daily, along w/ Internet Options (Delete, Delete) and CCleaner.

Here are screen shots showing which boxes I have unchecked... someone else may leave others unchecked or none unchecked. Use cmd, Run as Admin.

@ the moment I can't get this thing to accept images. Totally unexpected; very sorry.

Cheers,
Drew

Last edited:
Question About settings: Advanced Disk Cleanup

The first time it runs, you must check off everything you want the program to delete.
I just check everything, but,
Setup Logs and Office Setup files (I dint see this Option in the menu)
Setup Log Files Unchecked
Previous Windows Installation's Unchecked
What would be you suggestion If I Check or Uncheck them?

Thank you!

Re: Question About settings: Advanced Disk Cleanup

As I said, check out the item descriptions to help you decide what YOU may want to leave unchecked. Probably the same ones I show as Unchecked... oh, right, forgot, the sight is not accepting the screen shots :S darn.

I leave the ones unchecked that help if System Restore is ever needed & such things. Some of the descriptions will actually, "these can be deleted" or words to that effect.

The Office item only shows IF one has Microsoft Office installed.

Cheers,
Drew

Thank you very much for you post!

It feel my PC is running pretty god now!

Yes, I have Microsoft Office (2013) v15 Installed In my PC

You're very welcome. Glad if I have helped you achieve improved performance.

Cheers,
Drew

yes, Andrew thanks to you off curse!

I have windows re-activate OEM windows to archive better goals too. But I have end up with allot present in Firefox.

Do you come to know how to delete all this ICON I have? Please.
I am posting image.

Thank you

Cheers,
Drew
View attachment 22896[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• Mozilla Firefox.jpg
    Mozilla Firefox.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 776
I have to go out; will deal w/ this when I return. Don't touch that piece of crap on your screen. My name is Drew not, Andrew.

I'll try to help you later this evening.

Cheers,
Drew

Last edited:
I'm not sure why you are using FF rather than IE.

Close (get rid of) that shopping window thing. Do not ever touch anything that says "Improve your PC's Poor Performance".

If you are talking about the million icons across the top of your FF browser window... those are (a pile of) toolbars one doesn't want or need. They can be disabled in the browser's own controls... I've not used FF for a while but, as I recall it's under Tools. That said, toolbars should be on the list in Programs & Features & I strongly recommend removing them @ that location.

Cheers,
Drew

Hello Dear Drew.

I remember you say before when you set-up command code you have the option to chose.
and Microsoft Office was there IN one of those option.
can you please light me, why Office docent show on mine?

Also What would be PC Damage If I chose to clean up this Option:
Windows cleanup Settings-Unchecked
Previous Windows installation(s)
service pack backup files
setup log files
temporary windows installation files
eindows upgrade log files

Back
Top Bottom