Windows 8 After last update, I cant run programs in Win 8.1

Kjell Olsen

I've been having some issues with various programs after the latest Win 8.1 update. They simply won't start, or run in the background without me getting access to them.
I've reinstalled my Chrome browser, and now it works normally, but for some bizarre reason I'm not too keen on reinstalling every single type of software I use that has been hit with this strange bug, is this a known problem with more users than I? And either way, does anyone have a clue as to what's up and how I can fix this issue? As I said, reinstalling my afflicted software is something I'd rather not have to do...

Hope someone is able to help me, and thanks for any advice.

Without the error message its hard to say but the most common is admin rights.
I'll assume an icron on the desktop;
Try right click and the "advanced" buttion,
put a tick in "run as administrator"
reb2.png

No error message at all, just a short loading icon next to the pointer, and then nothing.
I've even checked the program manager thingie (sorry, don't know the English term for it), and it shows the programs in question starting up and then disappearing. It's nothing I've ever encountered before. So I'm clueless as to what's causing it. No Virus infections either...

• So did you try the "run as admin" posted above or not?
  • How many programs are we talking about here i.e all of them or just the ones installed on the c drive?
p.s have you been getting your Microsoft updates?

Yeah, tried running as admin, did naught, and all the updates are in as well..
It was quite a few programs, including Steam, AutoCad, the whole Adobe suite and Office (the whole shabang). I ended up reinstalling most of them, and now they work like before.
If I don't get any way to fix this soon, I'll just reinstall the rest. Just figured it as an odd problem to be having...
Thanks for the replies, anyways. :)

Steam, AutoCad and Adobe all track your system so a re-install is the norm for them... office is a surprise unless it's 360
prob best anyway... good luck with it mate.

I've opted for reinstalls... It sucks, but it seems that it's my only option since searching the web has been a let down.
This issue has me stumped...
Ah, well. Thanks for the assist, mate.

When you say "last Update", do you know what the KB number was on the update. Did you check the information on the update to see what it was for?

Back