Windows 8 After two weeks with Windows 8, I find it the least stable OS

Five days ago, I did a "clean install" of Windows 8. I have only BitDefender Windows 8 Security Antivirus installed, plus MS Office 2010.
Five days ago, I had the same problem - NOTHING WORKS. It started the very next morning after a "refresh" of Win8. When I got to my Desktop screen, there was a message, "Outlook encounter errors. Would you like to restart and repair?"
This time, I tried to open an attachment, PDF file (one page), from my customer using Outlook.
I've used Win98, Win2000, ME, Vista, XP, Windows 7. I've never had that kind of problem with OS.

I disagree.

It does work.

It's just not working for you.

As to why you in particular are seeing so many issues is indeed some what baffling. I checked on Bitdefender and unless your using the 2013 version the Windows 8 compatibility page has it down as incompatible.

defender.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I would definitely get rid of Bit Defender. It caused me nothing but problems. If the default Windows Defender does not "float your boat", then try AVG AV 2013 free. This AV app works very well, plays nicely with MalwareBytes Antimalware and Spybot Search and Destroy, all 3 running in real time. It's light on resources and is rated very highly.

I've been using Avira Antivirus for many years without any problems or issues.
After I upgraded my computers to Windows 8, Avira started crashing my computers; therefore, I've installed BitDefender Windows 8 Security Antivirus.

An update about my frozen computer.
Last night, I entered my password and left my computer overnight. This morning, I was able to log-in and get to my Desktop Screen.
As soon as I tried to open my MS Access database, my computer froze.
I can use "Windows Key + X" but cannot open anything - Task Manager, Command Prompt, File Explorer.
I've just clicked on "Windows Key" and got to METRO Interface. Right now, my computer really froze. No reaction to the keyboard anymore. My mouse is movable.
What should I do?
Please help.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are only two things that unite all those three problematic Windows 8 computers:
1. WINDOWS 8, and
2. BITDEFENDER WINDOWS 8 SECURITY ANTIVIRUS.
Windows 8 Antivirus - Bitdefender Windows 8 Security
"Bitdefender Windows 8 Security is the first internet security solution specifically designed for the new Windows 8 operating system. It holds four important features dedicated to Windows 8 Online Safety."
"Bitdefender tops Windows Defender Antivirus Technology and also brings additional essential features to Windows 8 users."

Could it be that BITDEFENDER IS THE CULPRIT?

Did you not read my post above about Bitdefender compatibility? Why not try uninstalling it and see how you go but to just repeat the above. Bitdefender prior to the 2013 version is considered incompatible with windows 8.

Although I simply dislike windows 8 I must agree with the posters who say that your problem is a rare one. I remember when I bought win7 and tried to install it on my desktop. Nothing worked. Win 7 absolutely failed each time to install. I tried to reinstall XP and it worked. I called MS and they tried to help me but to no avail. Eventually an MS technician told me to replace the SATA cable. I told him it was a brand new SATA cable that was the most expensive I could find. He insisted and I went and bought a different brand SATA cable and replaced the previous one with the new one. Lo and behold win 7 installed perfectly.

You may say that this has no connection with your problem but the law of Occam's Razor will disagree with you. Try the elimination process; Remove Bit Defender (this program gave me so many headaches in win 7 that I threw it out the window) and see how it goes. Good luck :)

Although I simply dislike windows 8 I must agree with the posters who say that your problem is a rare one. I remember when I bought win7 and tried to install it on my desktop. Nothing worked. Win 7 absolutely failed each time to install. I tried to reinstall XP and it worked. I called MS and they tried to help me but to no avail. Eventually an MS technician told me to replace the SATA cable. I told him it was a brand new SATA cable that was the most expensive I could find. He insisted and I went and bought a different brand SATA cable and replaced the previous one with the new one. Lo and behold win 7 installed perfectly.

You may say that this has no connection with your problem but the law of Occam's Razor will disagree with you. Try the elimination process; Remove Bit Defender (this program gave me so many headaches in win 7 that I threw it out the window) and see how it goes. Good luck :)

I think you are correct that BitDefender is A PROBLEM. Every other day, my Window 8 Security Center is telling me that my Antivirus, AntiSpyware, and Firewall is turned off. Also, three times a week, my BitDefender decides to switch from Autopilot to User mode without my approval. Twice a week, BitDefender informs me that AutoScan is off.
A lot of small glitches, but it's BITDEFENDER - currently, THE BEST ANTIVIRUS IN THE WORLD.

Back
Top Bottom