Windows 8 After Windows Update - Cannot Boot in Windows 8 Pro

garfbradaz

Hi Guys,

I have a fresh install of Windows 8 Pro on a new PC and have done for some weeks. On Friday i hit the shutdown option Update and Restart. On the Saturday (yesterday) I turned on my machine to greeted with the Windows 8 Logo then a blank screen and doesn't boot at all into Windows (And not i have checked both monitors and they connected fine.

What was i doing just BEFORE "Update and Restart".......

1. Enabled UEFI on the BIOS
2. Installed the Hyper-V Windows 8 Features
3. Created and installed a Virtual Switch
4. Created and installed a Virtual Machine and installed Windows 8.
5. Onto the VM i installed Visual Studio 2012 Web (MVC4) and SQL Server Express 2012 (NOT LocalDb)

Then after than i ran the Windows Update on the main PC and pressed "Update and Restart".

What have I tried doing to resolve this issue?

Booted (F12) using the OEM Disc. I have then Repair your computer->Troubleshoot....

1.1 Advanced Options
1.2 Automatic Repair
1.3 This fails and I get the following error:

http://sdrv.ms/UyNy59

then i tried....

2.1 Refresh PC
2.2 I get the following error:

"The Drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again"

then i tried....

3.1 Reset PC
3.2 I get the following error:

"Unable to reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing"

then i tried....

4.1 System Restore
4.2 This fails and i get the following error:

http://sdrv.ms/UyO9nq

So I'm completely at a loss. I presume if I unlock the primary disk I should be able to boot or at least repair? Anyway i really don't want to wipe and uninstall if possible.

I don't have any experience with the virtual stuff you installed, but you might try turning off Hyper-V.

When you say you enabled UEFI in the bios, what exactly do you mean? UEFI option for booting can be enabled or disabled, just cannot used if you did not install with that configuration.

After the Windows 8 logo, the system may be loading drivers. It might be related to the Virtual stuff you installed.

When you run Automatic Repair, does it initially see a Windows 8 install? The System restore message seems to say it is not sure which install to boot... Any thoughts on that?

Hey Matey,

Thanks for the reply. Apologies, what i meant to say was I enabled Intel Hyper-V within the BIOS, so I could install Hyper-V Windows Features, as I needed VM's for development.

Concerning the Automatic Repair, this can up with "Choose Operating System" and my Windows 8 install was there.

I think I might do a clean install (Reformat the drive) and start again. As the C:\ is a SSD with only my OS. Modern UI Apps are stored on the cloud and all the data associated with them are saved on a seperate drive.

Back
Top Bottom