Windows 10 All directories are Read Only. Help requested.

persius

Sadly, no solution has been presented so I'm reposting my request for help.
After an automatic update ALL of my directories are now Read Only. Because I work from home and this is a new PC I'm unable to install some of my programs due to this.... pain (to say the least). I have been online for the past 2 days looking for solutions and NOTHING works.

I am in need of help in resolving this problem asap. Based on my understanding there are many people who have experienced this disaster so it's nothing new or rare.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Nothing worked, did that include reinstalling Windows from scratch, of cause after backing up?
What a disaster....

If one of the solutions here does not resolve the issue
I would also recommend a backup and re-install.

Literally anything could cause the issue and it would be rather difficult and time consuming to try to try to troubleshoot with snippets of info.
  • Malware
  • Security softwre
  • Really any software
  • Operating system corruption
  • A script
  • Botched update, although this issue has not been reported in any recent patch cycles

Here are all of the details related to this problem to date in chronological order.

-I purchased my PC (Win 10) about 12 days ago. I installed the HD from my original PC into the new one simply because it was relatively new. It was also convenient that there was an additional bay in the PC for an extra HD.
-On the 2nd day Windows updated and immediately ALL of my directories turned to Read Only which prevented me from installing some programs or even updating some Word docs.
-Chrome began freezing my PC shortly after booting. I deleted chrome and reinstalled it but the problem persisted.
-Reformatted PC back to factory settings thinking it will fix the problem. Sadly, it did not.
-Returned PC for an exchange.
-Returned home with the replacement PC yesterday and began the process of installing all programs. Chrome problem disappeared, BUT, all directories on my HD remain Read Only.
-My PC now has 2 internal HD. I tried to install software on second HD (which came with the unit). I created a new folder and immediately it set to "Read Only".
-I have been researching solutions over the past week and tried EVERYTHING I could find online including apparent solutions to this Read Only issue which many people also have experienced after Windows updated their computers.
-As mentioned initially, I work from home and require all software up and running. So far I'm still unable to install some programs which means I can't work until this issue is fixed.

When Windows updated a week ago it affected all directories in such a way that I cannot remove the Read Only attribute regardless of what I do. I also have a back up drive but when I connect it via USB all of the directories there are now Read Only as well. My backup drive clearly reads off the OS and has attached the Read Only attribute to everything.

I don't know if there software exists that allows you to take control of directories by force in order to override this kind of problem but so far nothing works. I called a PC tech and explained this issue to him. He stated that he has heard of this happening but did not have a solution to this particular problem.

If one of the solutions here does not resolve the issue
I would also recommend a backup and re-install.

Literally anything could cause the issue and it would be rather difficult and time consuming to try to try to troubleshoot with snippets of info.
  • Malware
  • Security softwre
  • Really any software
  • Operating system corruption
  • A script
  • Botched update, although this issue has not been reported in any recent patch cycles

Hi Neemobeer.
I have looked at your link and will apply the suggestions. I'll post an update after trying them out.

I read that you did a reinstall of W10 with the medium of your previous PC.
Just a question. Have you ever tried just leave the new PC as it is, and only entering your account and coping your files over? That should be the way without any problem.

I have attempted all the suggestions that were shared with me and nothing has been resolved. I spoke with a computer technician this evening and they made the suggestion to remove all of my files from the E: and move them over to a back up system. I should then reformat the E: and place everything back and this should fix the problem.

Back