Windows 8 An Interesting Poll Idea

What OS would you choose if given the choice?

• Windows XP

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Windows Vista

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Windows 7

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Windows 8

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • Linux\Unix\OsX

• Android

• Other

• Total voters

sirloyne

Banned
Let’s assume that this was a perfect world, and when you bought a new computer they asked you what version of Windows you wanted on it. (This is a Windows poll, so that’s your choice.) Let’s also assume that all of the software you wanted to use would work and you could get all of your drivers. What version of Windows would you get? It would be interesting to see what people would use on their own computer if they were actually given a choice. Maybe someone smarter than me could come up with some kind of bar graph so we could see how each OS rates. And remember… this is peoples own opinions, so calling someone a Luddite because they put function over form should be avoided.

I’ll start. Absolutely, unquestionably XP.

Hope you don't mind but I added a poll. I broadened it a little. Windows 8 for me. XP which is a decent OS is fine but I game and need newer tech and XP doesn't support my board.

Hope you don't mind but I added a poll. I broadened it a little. Windows 8 for me. XP which is a decent OS is fine but I game and need newer tech and XP doesn't support my board.

Good job on the graph, thanks. Did you see that in my original post I mentioned this... "Let’s also assume that all of the software you wanted to use would work and you could get all of your drivers."?

Boy that's a lot of what if's. In a perfect world this would be quite nice but since I live in reality, and with each new OS release there are always driver and software issues. So day dreaming about what could've been in a perfect world doesn't work for me. Except when I go to bed at night and dream I won the lottery. Now that's a dream!

Boy that's a lot of what if's. In a perfect world this would be quite nice but since I live in reality, and with each new OS release there are always driver and software issues. So day dreaming about what could've been in a perfect world doesn't work for me. Except when I go to bed at night and dream I won the lottery. Now that's a dream!

Easy does it there, killer... it's just an opinion poll. Unlike high school gym class, no one's gonna make you play.

If this is gym class....then I'll meet you after school in the parking lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
In a perfect world, I would still use Windows 8. Windows XP, looking back, would be nice if everything was still supported but I can't be entirely sure if its not just pleasant nostalgia for the interface, (kinda how i feel about windows 95) than actual usability as I couldn't give up the new features that Windows 8 has

XP ??
roflmao21.gif

I remember when xp was first released. Man the abuse that the os received was far worse than anything said about Windows 8. Eventually service pack 2 appeared and it became the os we all knew and loved. Halcyon days..

Sure thing, Ross. Interesting point though is, that if you look at an XP help form (Not many left now) you will still see, on a daily basis, dozens of requests for help?
I do believe, Imho, that one reason for its success was that the software people had finally begun to catch up with windows compatibility issues. This was a very big problem in earlier OSs. (Ditto Vista to 7 ?)

Personally, I will never go back to either XP or Win 7. Win 8 feels like Win 7 but works faster on my H/W.

Sure thing, Ross. Interesting point though is, that if you look at an XP help form (Not many left now) you will still see, on a daily basis, dozens of requests for help?
I do believe, Imho, that one reason for its success was that the software people had finally begun to catch up with windows compatibility issues. This was a very big problem in earlier OSs. (Ditto Vista to 7 ?)

Hey Dave, I don't doubt for a second that there still people using this once mighty os. I mean for some people there will be just no reason to upgrade and whatever is said about it, it's still a quality operating system.

Posting this on a Windows 8 forum, I think it was a safe bet to say Windows 8 will have the most votes. Windows 8 is undoubtedly the choice for me, mainly because I like to stay on top of the latest innovations.

I am not a Windows 8 fan. I 'tolerate' it. I play around with it in a virtual partition (see here), but I do most of my work in Windows 7.

This is a little hard to answer.

Because while I like the Windows XP interface the best, it's too outdated as an OS to take advantage of a modern computer, and it's not as stable as Windows 7.

So that leads me to say Windows 7 but it has it's drawbacks as well, because I don't like the Windows 7 interface with all the scrolling up and down the programs window.

Windows 8 is faster, and is very stable, and will get better with service packs in the future. (hopefully).

So what's the answer.

For me it's running Windows 8 and using Classic Shell to get the interface to work like Windows XP.

But I guess if I wasn't able to do that, I'd have to pick Windows 7.

Mike

I don't get this, you'll have to explain. Just remember... if your answer has anything to do with XP being "old" or "ugly" or how "neat-o" Win 7's useless eye-candy is then you clearly put form over function and your opinion means very little.

As far as speed is concerned, XP goes mighty fast with 4GB of 1600MHz ram (3.5 useable) and an Intel 3.4GHz quad core Ivy Bridge. And by the way... that memory is put to use being productive, and not making boxes fade into nothingness when you close them.

XP uses 4x LESS memory and disc space. And I didn't have to add even MORE software to make it do almost as much as XP... like Win 7 & 8.

There's no arguing the fact that it's incredibly easy to set up a network with XP where you can share ALL of you files and folders... not just the "Public" ones that Microsoft wants.

Sorting and organizing 600 hundred folders in my "Music" folder is a complete nightmare with 7. Who came up with the A-H idea. Trust me... it sucks.

The last time I looked Win 8 (which does less than 7, but still uses the same disc space and memory) still gets viruses, and I don't think when your antivirus company has an update they're leaving XP out so it's just as secure.

Yeah, the Ford Model T was a good car too - used less gas than a V8 Pick-up. And who really cares about disk space and RAM these days.

Dude: If all you're going to do is poll this and poll that, bash all other OS other than XP. I respectfully recommend you find an XP, XP Pro, XP Media Center forums and post all that junk in those forums. If you're not going to actually contribute anything in this "Windows 8" forum then please keep the bashing to yourself. Myself along with quite a few of others on this forum are tired of your nonsense. To be quite honest with you I'm not sure why you haven't been banned.

Sure I believe in free speech and opinions but for FS give the "all OS's other than XP" bashing a rest.

As this is the non-support section I didn't really see the problem. It's just a simple question asking people their opinion. The only thing I did was ask someone what the laughing was about. Perhaps I went too far by adding some inarguable truths for consideration.

Now as far as support is concerned, I did have a problem with 7's horrible networking (Could networking be any worse?) and I admit I was pretty upset when I wrote it, (as most people are after they've spent way too much time trying to get the "new & improved" to do what the "old & obsolete" did so easily), but the only help I got was to be told to "get out more"... by an administrator no less. I guess that's what you would call support, since you liked his answer.

(Are you the same person with 2 names... because you both started with "Dude"?)

Back