Windows 7 An unknown error occured while printing

Nomad of Norad

Extraordinary Member
Today I discovered that my Win7 64bit machine is giving me errors when I try to print. Doesn't matter what program I try to print from, I get the same or similar error.

"An unknown error occurred while printing."

I have tried rebooting, I have tried uninstalling the printer from Devices and Printers and letting Win7 reinstall it. It still won't print.

Where do I go from here?

Today I discovered that my Win7 64bit machine is giving me errors when I try to print. Doesn't matter what program I try to print from, I get the same or similar error.

"An unknown error occurred while printing."

I have tried rebooting, I have tried uninstalling the printer from Devices and Printers and letting Win7 reinstall it. It still won't print.

Where do I go from here?

Might you tell us what printer, how it is connected, is it win 7 compatible, etc?

Ken J

Epson Stylus CX7000F, connected via USB, and yes it is Win7 compatible. It worked fine under my previous Win7 install.

What, still no help? :-L

Perhaps a device driver?

Check device manager
Please go to start>search>type device manager.
Are there any "unknown devices" with yellow triangles on them?
Is you driver there , listed, and working?

If your driver is missing, or there is a yellow triangle on it, you will need to update it.

No yellow triangles anywhere. Turning on the 4-way printer, I see it come up under Imaging devices as Epson CX6900F/CX7000F/DX7000F

Attachments

• msinfo32 output 20101020.txt
    1.8 MB · Views: 746
Uninstall the Bonjour service the correct way using the command prompt. Google for instructions. If you find directions for 32 bit, change the folders shown in the process for your 64 bit.

(Use Program Files (x86) folder in the path instead of plain Program Files folder, when making commands in the prompt.)

--------

Uninstall any 3rd party firewalls as a test. Reboot.

Okay, I removed Bonjour and restated. There doesn't seem to be a third party firewall here for me to remove. What next?

BTW, I'm still getting An unknown error occurred while printing.

Last edited:
Well, I ran the printer troubleshooter.... and when it got to the point where it asked Select the printer that isn't working correctly, I noticed there was EPSON Stylus CX7000F Series, there was Epson ESC/P Standard 6, and there was My printer is not listed. And I suddenly realized my machine was set to use Epson ESC/P Standard 6. oO
I don't even know what Epson ESC/P Standard 6 IS , but I'm pretty sure it's what Windows installed when I plugged the USB cable from the printer in. Oo
Anyway, I changed the default printer to EPSON Stylus CX7000F, and have now printed something successfully.
Any idea what Epson ESC/P 6 Standard is, where it came from, and why my machine thought THAT was the printer? oo And why didn't the machine give an error saying that printer wasn't responding, or something, instead of giving me the really, really vague "An unknown error..." message?

Grrrr.... Windoze.... gotta love it...

So, what was the purpose of removing Bonjour, and if I let it be reinstalled, will it have any effect on printing?

You can get along without Bonjour Services, a lot of people have had problems with it causing their network connections to fail including me, on several computers.
When Windows 7 first went live it was a real pain, I haven't heard many complaints lately so maybe they got it fixed.

It is installed by IToons and some Adobe sofware.

I just routinely remove it from my computer now, but if it isn't causing you any problems you can leave it alone if you want to.
The truth is I don't know what exactly it does!

You can get along without Bonjour Services, a lot of people have had problems with it causing their network connections to fail including me, on several computers.
When Windows 7 first went live it was a real pain, I haven't heard many complaints lately so maybe they got it fixed.

It is installed by IToons and some Adobe software.

I just routinely remove it from my computer now, but if it isn't causing you any problems you can leave it alone if you want to.

The truth is I don't know what exactly it does!

Back