Windows 7 -> Annoying recurrent graphical crash

lockheed

Here is what happens every 10, 5, 30, 90 or 2 minutes:
Link Removed due to 404 Error

I then need to send the comp into stand-by by closing the lid and revive it. This usually works, but sometimes (1 case in 7) not just screen crashes but entire comp and I have to hard-reset it.

Compaq V6065ea
Turion X2 2Ghz
GF Go6150
4GB Ram

It happens only in Windows 7 x64. It does not happen in XP x64 or Linux x64.
I tried 4 different nvidia drivers (modded and not, newest and from 2008) and drivers form Windows Update - made no difference.
I reinstalled system on freshly formated drive trice, with different 7 releases.
It usually happens when the CPU is barely used (but then again, it's like this most of the time).

If I can't solve it, I will have to go back to XP 64 where I have to sacrifice 1GB of ram to enable hibernation and most modern antivirus programs do not work.

It usually happens when the CPU is barely used (but then again, it's like this most of the time).

Hi and welcome.

I can suggest to try disabling any cpu throttling in the bios, as a test and possible fix.
Other than that, try to update the chipset/motherboard drivers if newer ones are available. A bios update for the motherboard can only be helpful too.

If you have motherboard utilities starting with Windows, I'd disable them as another type of test to see how it goes.

Thanks for the reply.

My bios options are very limited and don't include anything related to CPU. I am using newest drivers from Windows Update.
Also, over a year ago I used to use windows 7 on the same laptop without such problems, before I switched to Linux.

Please install the latest NVIDIA driver from their website. Windows Update video drivers are known to cause problems and really shouldn't ever be installed.

Cool. Make sure you're running the NVIDIA website driver, find and install latest chipset drivers, find and install latest motherboard bios and you should be alright.

Disable any motherboard utilities.

Does this happen on all screen resolutions, with UAC on or off?

GF Go615 uses shared ram, so if you haven't ensure it is using 128Mb total.

Does this happen on all screen resolutions, with UAC on or off?

GF Go615 uses shared ram, so if you haven't ensure it is using 128Mb total.

Since I run laptop, I only use 1280x800. UAC is off.
What's the difference in ram assigned? I gave it 64mb, didn't have a need for any more.

It's actually impossible (unless there has been some hacking to the system). You don't have the full Aero interface then with glass and other advanced 3d enhancements.

Back