Windows 8 Annoying split popup in every browser: "Together we fight cancer" + 1other ad. How to get rid of it?

Hi! I searched for this problem but got no good tips from the web.
Firstly: I'm no good with computers, so I won't understand going into codes, programming etc. I never had this problem when I was on Windows 7, but now on my new laptop with Windows 8 I keep getting these popups, so I suspect that it's the operative system, but as I said, I don't know anything about this kind of stuff.

Well, no matter what browser I use (I have Firefox 7 for different reasons, and the latest version of Google Chrome), I keep getting this annoying popup ad in the bottom right corner. The box is split in two: it says "Together we fight cancer" in the left half, and then there's some random local ad (I'm from Sweden, so there are links to Swedish websites) in the right half.

How do I get rid of this thing? The built-in popup blockers in both browsers doesn't work against this ad. According to other forums, it might be some kind of malware (which I, of course, don't know how to get to and remove). What if it's a virus of some kind, and how come my AVG didn't react if that's the case?

I also read somewhere that Adblocker Plus only works partially, and not against this particular ad. Is there any ad blocker that helps against this?

I'll upload some screenshots to show you guys what I'm talking about.

Attachments

• annoying popup ad all browsers screenshot 3.jpg
    annoying popup ad all browsers screenshot 3.jpg
    337.8 KB · Views: 467
  • annoying popup ad all browsers screenshot 2.jpg
    annoying popup ad all browsers screenshot 2.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 430
It's not the operating syste, you almost certainly have a virus. You need to download and install a good malware package such as mbam, free from here:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

When you download the file save it as something other than its real name else the malware may block the download. Doesn't matter what you call it as long as you leave the .exe on the end.

I hope you mean FF 27...as that is the latest version. Check your options in FF for "block pop ups" is checked. Also check for the same setting in the rest of your browsers. It may be worded differently but you get the idea.

popups.PNG

Hi

After you run the Malware scans, you can try installing Adblock Plus for Firefox.

I have it installed in both Firefox and Chrome and it does a good job of getting rid of popups and unwanted advertising.
It even gets rid of the commercials at the start of videos.

I've used in on both browsers for several months now on both of our computers and it hasn't caused any problems.

Mike

adblock doesnt work on this popup. i tried it ....no go.

The OP, original poster, has issue with both FF and Chrome.
Do you have same issue with both FF and Chrome ?

The OP did not mention IE, Internet Explorer.
Have you tried using IE ?
Current IE for Win 8 is IE10.
Current IE for Win 8.1 is IE11.

Thank you.

I would probably try watching Task Manager to see if I could catch whatever is doing this.

If it happened to be related to some app, remember in 8.1 the apps do not completely close until you hold them at the bottom of the screen until they rotate.

Back