Windows 10 Another weird one?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Mike

I'm not trying to fix this, I'll see what happens in the next build, (I'm still on 10074) but I just noticed that none of my Windows sounds will play, either my custom sounds or the default Windows sounds.

What's weird about this is that unlike a lot of earlier builds all my other sounds work fine.

The only thing that doesn't seem to work at all are the sounds assigned to actions through the Sounds control panel.

If I access the sounds at their source location they play fine.

Mike

Hi Mike,

I haven't noticed this, but I'll take a look. I'm still on 10074, downloaded a couple of weeks ago, but got busy with painting my house and stuff. I'll get back to you and let you know what it does on my old Dell.

Best,
Marc

Hi

For what it's worth it started working again, I have no idea why?
Both the default and custom sounds.

Mike

Hi Mike,

That's crazy, Man! You didn't change any settings or make changes to the BIOS??
:eek:

Best,
Marc

Hi

No, I spent a hour or more trying to get it to work.

Even tried going through the process of linking the sounds back to the theme in Sounds panel, rebooting, etc.
It had been working previously, but one day I noticed that I emptied the Recycle Bin and it didn't play my sound.

When I empty it my computer says, "Enough of this trash!".

So I opened the Sounds panel and discovered that none of the sounds played.
If I navigated to their position on the hard drive and clicked on them they played.

At this same time all of my other sounds were working fine, only the sounds associated with the Sounds panel didn't work.

I had had problems before playing my custom sounds but not the Windows default sounds.

I finally gave up on it and, as I said decided to wait for the next build instead of spending more time on it.

A couple of days later I suddenly realized that it had started playing all of the sounds again.

I guess that's just beta testing. LOL
All most none of the links on the right click dropdown menu have worked for me in this build from the start.
That hasn't changed, if I follow the link to the source and click on it, it opens but not from the menu.

Cortana talks, but she won't say my name, I've tried to set it up multiple times but she won't say "Mike".
Maybe she's mad at me.

Mike

I recently hosed my sounds and a few other bits associated with my audio chipset.
I think it was from playing with Cortana and Speech Recognition and maybe some other stuff too, IDK.
So I went to device manager, blew away my Sound Card including drivers and rebooted the machine and automagically things were back to normal.
Not saying it would always be that easy, but it worked for me in that instance.

I didn't think of doing that this time.
I did that when I was having problems getting any of my sound to work and it usually did the trick.

I guess because it only affected the Windows sound I didn't think about it having anything to do with the sound card.

Mike,

Interesting. Remember my story from a few weeks ago? You didn't say anything mean to Cortana did you like my wife did? She didn't talk to me for 2 builds!! In addition to Trouble's suggestion, you might try apologizing to her.:rolleyes: Probably just coincidence, but when I had my wife apologize to Cortana, she started talking to me on 10074 and even says my name now. LOL.

Marc

Back