Windows 7 Any known issues with installing all Windows Updates at the same time on a new PC?

CGW

I'm rebuilding my desktop PC with a fresh installation of Windows 7 x64.

Upon first boot after installation, 3 updates automatically installed. After a reboot, I was informed that over 100 additional recommended updates (and quite a few optional updates) were ready to be installed.

Are there any known issues with installing so many updates at one time?

I chose to install all of the recommended and optional updates (except for the 39 international updates). During the Windows Update installation process, a Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center installation window appeared. When the progress bar got to about 75%, however, the following error dialog appeared
underneath:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way

Presumably, the installation of the Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center (and perhaps other items) failed to install; upon pressing the OK button, I was informed that 51 updates succeeded and 75 failed. Codes 800706BE 800706BA were mentioned.

Upon reboot, another batch of updates (75?) installed; then the PC rebooted twice.

At this point, Windows 7 appears to be completely installed and up to date. There are no new items in Windows Updates. However, the Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center is nowhere to be found; I was able to download the installer and successfully install the product.

Is my experience typical?

Hi,

in answer to your query, 'Is my experience typical?', yes pretty much so.

Some updates cannot be installed without others being in place first. Also the error codes you mention relate to a system crash (800706BE this probably happened as you were missing the visual C++ library) and not being able to connect to the update servers (800706BA).

Temporary connection-related errors may occur when you use Windows Update or Microsoft Update

Windows Update error 800706BA

As mentioned in the above links these issues usually resolve themselves.

If you did not use the Windows Install DVD with SP1 integrated, you might think about it before you reinstall again...

Link Removed - Not Found

When installing my Windows 7, with SP1, I had 89 updates coming... be sure, I thought about it for a moment. But then, I just let it go... and four months after, everything is still working fine. Problems with updates don't necessarily mean the system will crash, although it may mean you need to re-update something. I have a quite high regard for Windows 7, it has abilities to fix itself. Including the fact that some updates have, perhaps, been tried to be updated in wrong order.

The problem for a common user is, if you want to put updates in order, what will the order be? Glad you got it working, CGW.

Thanks for the information! Yes, everything seems to be OK with my system.

I wasn't aware that an ISO of Windows 7 with SP1 was available -- until Saltgrass made me aware of it (above). If I had used that, I'm sure I wouldn't have seen so many issues.

In any case, my experience doesn't exactly instill confidence in the Windows Update process!

Well, to be frank, my confidence in the whole IT is very, very, very relative. It's a young trade, after all.

Back