Windows 7 Any Known Issues with Windows DVD Maker?

hawkeye62

Extraordinary Member
In creating a DVD with Windows DVD Maker, the burn process is hit or miss. Sometimes the DVD gets made, but many times the process stops at 99% with an error message. It does the same thing on two different DVD drives.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Jim

Hi

I've used ImgBurn for years it will do pretty much any kind of disk including making bootable disks and it's free. I always have an icon for it on my task bar.

I've always had issues with the native DVD maker in Windows myself.

It's very straight forward and easy to use.

http://imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

Imgburn_zps6b4680e2.jpg

Mike

In creating a DVD with Windows DVD Maker, the burn process is hit or miss. Sometimes the DVD gets made, but many times the process stops at 99% with an error message. It does the same thing on two different DVD drives.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Jim

Perhaps you had the wrong codec ?
Formats supported by Windows
  • Video files: '.asf', '.avi', '.dvr-ms', '.m1v', '.mp2', '.mp2v', '.mpe', '.mpeg', '.mpg', '.mpv2', '.wm', and '.wmv'.
  • Audio files: '.aif', '.aifc', '.aiff', '.asf', '.au', '.mp2', '.mp3', '.mpa', '.snd', '.wav', and '.wma'.
  • Picture files: '.bmp', '.dib', '.emf', '.gif', '.jfif', '.jpe', '.jpeg', '.jpg', '.png', '.tif', '.tiff', and '.wmf'

Hi

I've used ImgBurn for years it will do pretty much any kind of disk including making bootable disks and it's free. I always have an icon for it on my task bar.

I've always had issues with the native DVD maker in Windows myself.

It's very straight forward and easy to use.

http://imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

Mike

I have used ImgBurn for many years. As close to perfection as you can get! But the issue with DVD Maker is a special case that ImgBurn can't solve. The problem is that the input to Windows DVD Maker is from Windows Movie Maker (AKA Windows Live Essentials) which is a file with extension .msdvd. As far as I know, only Windows DVD Maker can handle that file type.

Thanks for the reply and regards, Jim

Perhaps you had the wrong codec ?
Formats supported by Windows
  • Video files: '.asf', '.avi', '.dvr-ms', '.m1v', '.mp2', '.mp2v', '.mpe', '.mpeg', '.mpg', '.mpv2', '.wm', and '.wmv'.
  • Audio files: '.aif', '.aifc', '.aiff', '.asf', '.au', '.mp2', '.mp3', '.mpa', '.snd', '.wav', and '.wma'.
  • Picture files: '.bmp', '.dib', '.emf', '.gif', '.jfif', '.jpe', '.jpeg', '.jpg', '.png', '.tif', '.tiff', and '.wmf'

See my reply to Mike. The file type is .msdvd.

Regards, Jim

For your information, you don't have to go through WMM then WDM
You can do all that directly in WDM.

Yes, but doesn't it still end up with a file type of msdvd? Which means that I still have to use Windows DVD Maker to burn the DVD?

Regards, Jim

Yes, but doesn't it still end up with a file type of msdvd? Which means that I still have to use Windows DVD Maker to burn the DVD?

Regards, Jim

Assuming you were relying to me.

There is a misunderstanding........
You will be importing picture files, audio file etc directly into the DVD Maker and burn the contents into a DVD.
File type is not applicable in this case.

Assuming you were relying to me.

There is a misunderstanding........
You will be importing picture files, audio file etc directly into the DVD Maker and burn the contents into a DVD.
File type is not applicable in this case.

I tried that approach as a short test. I imported one video file. Then I was going to burn the DVD with ImgBurn, but the file type was msdvd, which is not recognized by ImgBurn, or as far as I know any other burner except WDM. Am I missing something?

Thanks for your help, Jim

I am perplexed.
Why do you mention ImgBurn ?
I never suggested using that, did I ?

Allow me to repeat my previous reply with slight editing......

You will be importing picture files, audio file etc directly into the DVD Maker . Preview if you wish. If satisfied, insert a DVD, then click BURN. That will burn the contents into a DVD.

NOTE : MSdvd file is a project file, something you want to "save" in your computer and finish at a later date. It is NOT a finished product.
To finish, open WDM > File > select Open Project File > select the msdvd in question > click Open > the project file is now in WDM > click Next > click Preview (optional) > if satisfied, click Burn.

Last edited:
quote : The problem is that the input to Windows DVD Maker is from Windows Movie Maker (AKA Windows Live Essentials) which is a file with extension .msdvd.

Windows Movie Maker does not and cannot save a video file into msdvd format.
Windows Movie Maker can save a project file but only in wlmp extension.
A finished WMM video is in wmv extension.

Hi

Sorry I didn't realize when I first answered that you were talking about a DVD movie project file, not just a DVD data disk.

If I understand correctly .Msdvd is a file format only readable by DVD Maker, and is a way of saving a project in progress not something that can be opened and played in a DVD player etc.

It is like an .Indd file that can be read only by Adobe Indesign but doesn't really contain any of the content, just tells the program where everything is so it can be exported as a PDF file, or in this case an .avi or .other video file.

I found messages like this when I looked up DVD Maker...

As far as being reliable...it stinks. There are at least 6 free DVD makers online that are better.
If you google Windows DVD Maker [Microsoft] you will find many, many complaints.

Other people seems to have no problems with it, so I guess about the only thing I could suggest is that you down load and install the latest version, I'd install it in a different location from the original instead of the default one, if it will let you do that, (so Windows sees it as a new program and doesn't pick up anything from the old install) and see if it works better.

Windows DVD Maker has been removed from Windows 8 and doesn't seem to have been updated in ages, so the latest version seems to be...

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=4730

It might be better to upgrade to a more modern application to create your DVD projects.
I use Adobe Premier Elements myself, it's pretty cheap and produces professional looking results.
It is more complex then DVD Maker but it can do a lot more stuff.

There is a trial version that you can try out for free to see if it will run on your computer, and whether you like it or not.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=premiere_elements&loc=us

Or see if you can do what you want in Windows Live Movie Maker...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-live/movie-maker

Mike

By the time I got done typing this there were 6 more entries. LOL

Last edited:
quote : The problem is that the input to Windows DVD Maker is from Windows Movie Maker (AKA Windows Live Essentials) which is a file with extension .msdvd.

Windows Movie Maker does not and cannot save a video file into msdvd format.
Windows Movie Maker can save a project file but only in wlmp extension.
A finished WMM video is in wmv extension.

Well, my very first explanation of the problem was that Windows DVD Maker fails to burn the DVD. I was hoping for something other than Windows DVD Maker to burn the DVD.

If Windows Movie Maker produces a wmv file, that should work with any DVD burner I guess,
'
Thanks for the help, Jim

............If Windows Movie Maker produces a wmv file, that should work with any DVD burner I guess,

I wouldn't say "any" DVD burner as I do not have such extensive knowledge of all dvd burners, but I would say the chance is very good.

I still do not understand why you have issues with WDM.
The only possible reason I can surmise is that those msdvds in question were sent to you. If that is the case, you might want to ask the sender(s) how the msdvds were made. Which brings back to my first reply. Namely the file formats used have to be supported by Windows. If the creator used the wrong file formats, and saved it to a msdvd, then when you wanted to burn it, the DVD Maker would balk.

Last edited:
I don't use either but is it possible to save the image to your hard drive first and then burn it to DVD using a third party program?????

Hi

As I understand it a msdvd is a Windows DVD Maker project file that only contains the location and structure of the project, not the content it'self.

It is not a playable file in any DVD player, it can only be opened on the original computer and then saved to a playable format.

I've never used DVD Maker but I have used Windows Movie Maker and it should be able to save the file in WMV file format.

I don't know if DVD Maker can except .wmv and convert it to a DVD format or not.
Pretty sure that Any Video Converter which I've used for years will do that....

http://www.filehippo.com/download_any_video_converter/

Mike

I found this...

What is a MSDVD file?

The .msdvd file extension is most commonly associated with the Windows DVD Maker software. These files contain tags that define the title of a DVD, the media content, menu, button names and other DVD information. The Windows DVD Maker software is included with Windows Vista versions 7 and later. The MSDVD files are stored in the XML file format.

Last edited:
............If Windows Movie Maker produces a wmv file, that should work with any DVD burner I guess,

I wouldn't say "any" DVD burner as I do not have such extensive knowledge of all dvd burners, but I would say the chance is very good.

I still do not understand why you have issues with WDM.
The only possible reason I can surmise is that those msdvds in question were sent to you. If that is the case, you might want to ask the sender(s) how the msdvds were made. Which brings back to my first reply. Namely the file formats used have to be supported by Windows. If the creator used the wrong file formats, and saved it to a msdvd, then when you wanted to burn it, the DVD Maker would balk.

Well, my wife is the one doing the project. She used Windows Movie Maker to make a movie from several videos and photos that she had taken. Then she used Windows DVD Maker to add some titles or headers or something, than she selected burn DVD. The process proceeds to 99% and fails. The message is: "The DVD could not be burned because an error occurred. Try using another blank disc and make sure your DVD burner is connected and working properly. Learn more about this problem." Learn more gives suggestions as follows: Verify that your CD or DVD burner is listed in Device Manager and is installed properly and is working properly. Make sure the video file is not corrupted. Choose a slower burning speed.

As mentioned in my first post, this failure is intermittent, sometimes it burns the DVD, most of the time it fails.

Regards, Jim

I don't use either but is it possible to save the image to your hard drive first and then burn it to DVD using a third party program?????

You question is a bit ambiguous.
What "image"?
I have to interpret your question.......
1. If you use Windows Movie Maker, you can save the project to your computer and it will be in wlmp format.
You must finish the project using Windows Movie Maker, and it will be saved as wmv in your computer.
Then you can use any 3rd party DVD Maker to burn the wmv file to a DVD.

2. If you use Windows DVD Maker, you can save the project to your computer and it will be in msdvd format.
You must finish the project using Windows DVD Maker and burn it to a DVD.

If my interpretation of your question is wrong, please elaborate.

Well, my wife is the one doing the project. She used Windows Movie Maker to make a movie from several videos and photos that she had taken. Then she used Windows DVD Maker to add some titles or headers or something, than she selected burn DVD. The process proceeds to 99% and fails. The message is: "The DVD could not be burned because an error occurred. Try using another blank disc and make sure your DVD burner is connected and working properly. Learn more about this problem." Learn more gives suggestions as follows: Verify that your CD or DVD burner is listed in Device Manager and is installed properly and is working properly. Make sure the video file is not corrupted. Choose a slower burning speed.

As mentioned in my first post, this failure is intermittent, sometimes it burns the DVD, most of the time it fails.

Regards, Jim

Perhaps, the video made by Windows Movie Maker is too large ?
How many MB or GB is the wmv ?
How many minutes required to play the wmv ?

Last edited:

No image file is made. The only output from Windows DVD Maker is the msdvd file type.

Thanks, Jim

Back