Windows 10 Anyone know how to add music to an existing playlist in Media Player?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

That's my question, I have a Cortana playlist.
I've been trying to put music in it for weeks, everything I do fails.

Somehow some music I downloaded from Itunes ended up in the playlist, but I don't know how.

I want to add more music to the list, but everytime I do it want's me to save the list under a new name defeating my purpose of having a Cortana playlist that she will play when I ask.

I can't find anyway of just adding the music to the existing list and saving it without changing the name.

They couldn't have made something that should be as simple as copy and pasting or dragging music to an existing list any harder.

I've looked online but don't find any answer that makes any sense.
I do find other people complaining about the same issues.

Anyone here had do deal with this?

Mike

I thought all you had to do was right click the music and select add to playlist.

Hi

Same thing happens everytime, no matter how I add the music files to the playlist..

It will appear as a new list, I can name it Cortana and save it, but as soon as I close Media Player and open it again the list is back to the same list with same songs on again.

When I click on it and ask to see the file location it takes me to the Music/Playlist/Cortana.wpl file.
If I delete it and do it over again, I get a new Cortana.wpl file, but it still has the few files not the complete list I created.

Here's the Cortana Playlist created and saved.

Cortana%20Playlist%201_zpspp6j6luk.jpg

I close Media Player and open it again and this is what I get everytime...

Cortana%20Playlist%202_zpshmbaumcq.jpg

I can create another list with the files in it but I can't find a way to add them to the Cortana list and have them stay.

The music that is on the list it the last files that I downloaded from Itunes.

Mike

Then I suppose the question might be does it happen with a normal playlist? Do you have to use the Cortana name or can you use something like MyList?

Are the files you are trying to add in some specific library or of a certain format?

I will I could be more specific but I only got Cortana to work once with the music. Most of the other times it is really not usable.

Hi

When I originally set it up, I followed instructions that said that the playlist should be named Cortana.

I've tried saying "Hey Cortana, play list one" but that doesn't seem to work at this stage, (she still plays the Cortana Playlist) though I think you are supposed to be able to do that eventually.

If I just create a new list and name it My List 1 then it seems to work OK.

My%20Playlist%201_zpsgecvhg5n.jpg

It appears that it has to do with the list being named Cortana since even if I take the my list 1 file and rename it Cortana overwriting the present Cortana file, I get the same results, it shows music that I haven't even added to the list but not the music I did place in it.

Someplace Cortana is directed to my Itunes files and that's overriding whatever I do.
Even if I name My List 1, Cortana, when I reopen it I get the other music list.

If I open my Music, Playlist folder and delete it there it doesn't seem to affect the playlist in MP.
But I ran a complete scan of my hard drive and didn't find another Cortana.wpl anyplace other than the one in my music folder.

That's kind of the problem with a lot of the apps, they lack the controls that normal software would have that let you select things like what the source of the music comes is etc.

If it was me, I'd let you save the playlists where you wanted to and then just select them when you wanted to play them.

Mike

Last edited:
I had this working at one time, but now Cortana just says starting the music and nothing else happens.

If you did not already have a Playlist named Cortana, I think it will create one. I could swear it was renamed later.

If you have another computer or phone, it may be related to syncing all devices together and since the OneDrive is one of your libraries, it may even be related to that.

I will keep working on mine ... but a little frustrated right now...

Well Ill be xxxx. I did the upgrade to 10130, and told Cortana to play music and my playlist started right up. All the hours trying to get 10122 to work were in vain.

Maybe this will solve your problem also.

On my phone Cortana defaults to my Microsoft "X-box Music" app for the playlist and thats what I have to edit... this list is synced.

GotA love how Microsoft takes something simple and makes it into a major song and dance for people to use... good luck with it Mike.

It's funny, because it does work on mine, when I say "Play my music" she does.
But I can find no way to specify what music files I want in the play list.

It just defaults to the "Voice" files that I downloaded about a week ago.

I think those are in my Itunes folder.

Mike

If it helps any, when I just said "Play Music", it used the MyList I had set up for a playlist. When I said "Shuffle Music" it appears to have created a Cortana playlist showing my music in the shuffled condition.....

Music Shuffle.JPG

Hi

I'll give that a try.

Well, I think I have it working.

I just told it to remove everything from my list and from the computer.
Then I created a new list, named My "Play List 1"

It has 100 pieces of music in it, and plays for 6.6 hours.

I don't even have a playlist named Cortana but when I ask her to play my music now, she plays "My PLay List 1".

When I asked her to shuffle my music she says "Sure thing playing your music".
When I say Play my Music, she says "OK, shuffling your music, but no Cortana playlist appeared.

Anyway it's working.

Mike

Last edited:
I have some more testing to do tomorrow, but right now, I consider the Cortana playlist a virtual list created after you ask Cortana to play your music and any filters you include.

Tomorrow I will add a third album and not put it in MyList to see if it is included in the Cortana playlist automatically. It is nice for it to be reliable enough to even form conclusions on what it is doing.

Good idea Saltgrass... I starting to think Cortana just doesn't like his taste in music.:oops:

Hi

I don't have any taste in music.
My list is so odd even Cortana probably thinks it's weird.

Everything from Pavarotti to Steeleye Span, with Willie Nelson in between. LOL.

I made a second list by selecting a different collection in it's folder, selecting all, and then clicking Send to Media Player List.

It has 111 pieces of music in it.

I named it My Play List 2.

I tried a variety of commands in an attempt to get Cortana to pick the second list but she always picks the first list.

No Cortana list has appeared on it's own.

Mike

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom