Windows 10 Anyone know how to get rid of Avast antivirus.

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

My wife's new Dell computer came with Avast Antivirus installed. Avast is practically a virus itself.
It keeps popping up windows that want you to upgrade to pay service etc. It's a real pain.

It has no uninstall function if you try to uninstall it in the normal way it just gives you the option to upgrade it.

So I have uninstalled it with Revo Uninstaller but in a week or so it will reinstall itself again.

I've found the install files in C:\Program Files\Avast.

It will not let me delete this folder or any of the files in it.
I have tried using the Super Delete function in SuperAntiSpyware and that can't remove any of the files or folders either.

Does anyone know how to get rid of this monster?

I've just uninstalled it again with Revo, but I'd like to stop it before it installs again.
I looked online and hundreds of people are asking this question, but I didn't find any real answers, in fact on a number of sites someone from Avast would post and give the message creator a hard time.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

Hi

I tried the removal tool. That didn't work either.
Or it uninstalled the installation but not then install files.

I finally got rid of the software by using Revo Uninstaller but that still left all the files and folders in place.

I really want to know how to get Windows to Delete the Avast folder and all the files and subfolders in it, this came from Dell with the software on it.

Usually SuperAntiSpyware's SuperDelete File Removal Tool with work but I can't get that to work on this folder or the individual files either.

Mike

Hi

Can't do that, too many things to redo.
And unfortunately, I made the system image with it there.

I should have done a clean install when I first set it up.
The computers that I buy for myself don't have any of this junk on them.

Mike

You probably just need to take ownership of it, grant yourself permissions and remove. I f it still won't delete look at procexp to see if there is a process with open handles to it you may need to close them before deleting.

Hi

Can't do that, too many things to redo.
And unfortunately, I made the system image with it there.

I should have done a clean install when I first set it up.
The computers that I buy for myself don't have any of this junk on them.

Mike
Don't all brand name computers come with the manufacturer's bloatware on them? Some of it is possibly useful, but a lot isn't - and I've never discovered any that are absolutely essential.
Personally I use Avast's free version and, touch wood, haven't had a virus in years.
Maybe biting the bullet IS the only sure and certain solution. I had a Dell a few years back and after 6 months took the plunge. Copied required data, reformatted and reinstalled from scratch. It's not too long a job and you end up knowing nothing is lurking in dark corners.

I use Windows 10 & a Linux OS. Booting up with a Linux "live-dvd", then navigate to that nasty Avast folder(s) and delete them.

Hi

My computer was built by Falcon Northwest, their computers don't come with anything you don't ask for.

The computer comes set up, tuned, configured and already registered to you just turn it on and it's set to go.

They will format the hard drives and everything anyway you want. I have 2~500 Gb SSDs, one partitioned into two drives, one half with Windows installed and a 4 Tb conventional hard drive. The second SSD is just for Steam and games.

It has the new Nvidia RTX 2080 video card and I7 5Ghz processor.

It's a blast, I can run any game at ultimate settings on my new 4k 34" monitor.

I'd have bought my wife a laptop from Falcon but she wouldn't have appreciated it.
She would just think I bought it for myself. Lol

But one of the best things is that it doesn't come with any bloatware.

I have a license for 3 computers to run Malwarebytes Pro that I got years ago, and they've never raised the price from what I paid then.
I've never had a virus in many years. It has no impact on computer performance and seems to catch every bad website and download that shows up.

I'm going to try Linux tomorrow, I haven't had to do that for years.
If that doesn't work I'll try and take ownership of the folder, I found the instructions which have 22 steps in the process. so I'll try Ubuntu first.

Mike

Last edited:
Back