Windows 10 Anyone know how to switch accounts in Mail?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

When I open the Mail app, it logs into my Comcast account.
I can't find any place to switch to my Gmail account.

If I click on Settings and then Accounts it shows both accounts but no way to switch between them?
In earlier versions it showed both accounts in the lower left corner of the screen.

Strangely if I click on the Calendar app icon from within the mail app, that signs into my Gmail account.

Mike

Last edited:
Hey Mike,
I added my Gmail account to my Mail app alongside a outlook account to see where to switch accounts. See screenshot:
mail.jpg

Look for the Accounts tab I've arrowed. Once you've chosen the account it will stay on that account even when opening the Mail app back up.

Last edited:
Kemical, you might want to hide your e-mail a little better...

I never liked the way the Mail App handled my pop accounts. Unless I was doing something wrong, it seemed I had to select each account to see what mail was present for that account. So I was never sure if the listings were up to date.

But it should be checking for new mail in all the accounts and that is one of the Apps, I believe, that you can allow to run in the background.

Since I don't have Gmail I can't really check..

Hi

I couldn't find it anyplace except when I open settings, it shows there.
So I decided that I'd delete it and try and set it up again.

I couldn't delete the old one so I just created a new one with a different name, (Gmail 2) once I did that it appeared in the Accounts list.

Thanks for the help.

This is one of the things about the Windows apps that bugs me.
There should be a clear and simple way to delete and install things without having to navigate through a dozen screen. Instead they've made it either difficult or impossible to do things that were simple before.

Why not just right click on the account and select delete?

Some times simple can be too simple.

Mike

Last edited:
I gave the Mail App a good work over, when it was introduced. I persisted but, in the end, went back to my favorite (no longer supported) Desktop Live Mail. It has just about all the functions required to send and receive mail. Linked to an Outlook account, it covers other eventualities.

I usually use Outlook although sometimes for quickness I'll check the Mail app but as I don't have all my accounts set up in Mail I tend to stick with Outlook (2016 version)

Hi

Well to tell the truth I've used Mozilla Thunderbird for a long time.
Before that I used Windows Live Mail, but I often had problems with that.

I wanted to get the Mail App setup, but I won't use it on a regular biases.
I just have this compulsion to make everything work.

I can't tell you how many times that's gotten my in trouble.
Sometimes you should just leave well enough alone.

Mike

Back