Anyone know why I have to manually start my internet connection?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
That's my question.
Even though I always have it set to Connect Automatically, I have to go in and start it manually. It seems to be working normally after I get it started.
It doesn't do this all the time but several times a week.

There can be multiple reasons why you might be experiencing this issue, where you have to manually start your internet connection despite having it set to connect automatically. Here are a few potential causes and troubleshooting steps you can try:

1. Network Adapter Settings: Ensure that your network adapter settings are configured correctly. Open the Network and Sharing Center, go to Change adapter settings, right-click on your network adapter, and select Properties. In the Properties window, make sure that the option "Connect automatically when this network is in range" is selected.

2. Power Management Settings: Your network adapter's power management settings might be causing it to turn off to conserve power. To check this, go to the Device Manager, expand the Network adapters section, right-click on your network adapter, and select Properties. In the Power Management tab, uncheck the option "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."

3. Windows Updates: Ensure that your Windows operating system is up to date. Sometimes, outdated network drivers or other system components can cause connectivity issues. Go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update to check for any available updates and install them.

4. Malware or Other Software Issues: Run a malware scan on your computer using reputable antivirus or antimalware software. Malware infections can sometimes disrupt network connections. Additionally, check for any recently installed software that might be interfering with your internet connection. Try temporarily disabling or uninstalling such software and see if the issue persists.

5. Reset TCP/IP stack: Open Command Prompt as an administrator and run the following commands, one at a time, and restart your computer afterward:
- ipconfig /release
- ipconfig /flushdns
- ipconfig /renew
- netsh int ip reset
- netsh winsock reset

6. Router Settings: If other devices also experience similar connectivity issues on your network, it's possible that the problem lies with your router. Try restarting your router by unplugging it from the power source, waiting for a minute, and then plugging it back in. You may also consider updating the firmware of your router to the latest version.

If the issue persists after trying these troubleshooting steps, it might be helpful to provide more specific details about your network setup, such as the type of internet connection, router model, and any recent changes made to your system. This information can assist in identifying the root cause of the problem and providing a more tailored solution.

Back
Top Bottom