Windows 10 Apps Stuck in Queue

kraski

Several Previews ago, I had an app that wouldn't start (Solitaire HD). In past versions of Windows and earlier builds of Win10, I could use the old trick of uninstalling, then reinstalling. Things would be back to normal. So, that's what I tried to do.

That file got stuck in a queue that seems to be the equivalent of limbo. The file is not fully recognized as uninstalled, where there is an install button in the store. The app shows in the menu with a dark progress bar, like something is in process. Since then, I've had several other apps I just wanted to uninstall and one I installed get added to the queue. Some others uninstalled fine, without being added to that no status queue. I've also had several apps update without a problem.

Right now in the queue, I have one that should fully uninstall, one that may have an update waiting, and two I want to reinstall. And I can't do anything to prod any of them. I've reported it in the Insider Feedback Hub. Is there a config file I can delete and let it rebuild? Or some way I can access that queue to get things back to normal?

Hi Kraski,
welcome to the forum. Have you tried using the apps troubleshooter?

Just did. Thanks for the link. It said it fixed the store cache. Even after a restart, the only change is that the last uninstalled app is now re-added to the app menu, with the same "in limbo" status as the other two. And the fourth app still is installed and usable, but in that same queue.

Try running these scans. You'll need to open an admin command prompt:
File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

Try running these scans. You'll need to open an admin command prompt:
File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

First scan said it found no integrity issues, the second scan said it worked as intended. The menu items and queue were still there, as before. So, I ran the first scan, again. Same results. Then I restarted. The queue had disappeared and the install buttons were back in place. But the phantom entries in the app menu were still there. Reinstalling them and uninstalling the ones I really wanted to uninstall worked correctly, this time. And I added your scan sequence to my Evernote. Because I'll never remember it or where I saw it, if that pops up in the distant future. Thanks, kemical. I'd never know about that one without your help.

Hi kraski! @kemical is a great tech and knows these things. He will be pleased. Thanks for your feed back. Glad your issue is solved.
Here's a site below I use on a regular basis. Shawn Brink is know through out the PC world and can be trusted.
I like this help forum better(Windows Forum) because we are more personal and friendlier. Someone here will always be happy to help.
Here's a link that takes sfc /scannow a little further. You might want to book mark it.;) Welcome to the forum!
SFC Command - Run in Windows 10

First scan said it found no integrity issues, the second scan said it worked as intended. The menu items and queue were still there, as before. So, I ran the first scan, again. Same results. Then I restarted. The queue had disappeared and the install buttons were back in place. But the phantom entries in the app menu were still there. Reinstalling them and uninstalling the ones I really wanted to uninstall worked correctly, this time. And I added your scan sequence to my Evernote. Because I'll never remember it or where I saw it, if that pops up in the distant future. Thanks, kemical. I'd never know about that one without your help.
Hi Kraski,
thanks for the update and I'm glad to hear your issue was eventually resolved. Any problems post back.. :)

Back