Windows 7 Are you using Windows 7 Beta 1 as your main Operating System ?

Are you using Windows 7 Beta 1 as your main OS (Operating System) ?

• Total voters
J

Jordan

Poll :

Are you using Windows 7 Beta 1 as your main Operating System ?

----------------------------

Yes I am :D

On 2 seperate computers, yes. Of course, I am a glutton for punishment, I used Vista when it was in beta, I used osx86 for a while as well. I am fine with using an OS that isnt exactly perfectly stable to a point, and when I reach that point, I revert back to XP.

On 2 seperate computers, yes. Of course, I am a glutton for punishment, I used Vista when it was in beta, I used osx86 for a while as well. I am fine with using an OS that isnt exactly perfectly stable to a point, and when I reach that point, I revert back to XP.

You and I think alike friend ! You are amazing ! :D

God Bless you

Jordan

I'm using it as my only OS on two PCs.
I have of course backed up all my data do a separate partition/hard drive as well as an external hard drive.
I would hope you've done the same, just in case.

I'm using it as my only OS on two PCs.
I have of course backed up all my data do a separate partition/hard drive as well as an external hard drive.
I would hope you've done the same, just in case.

Yes I did the same, I backed everything up to an external USB hard drive. I've also got a Vista image, just in case

Backing up is the first thing you ALWAYS do before installing ANY Beta software. There is a reason after all that it is beta haha.:razz:

But if you back everything up, you miss out on the fun of running recovery programs and scanning the hard drive for hours. I refuse to miss out on this integral part of the beta experience. I never back up anything. Of course, part of the reason i never back up is that the only things that touch my C:\ drives are documents and programs, every media file is stored away on my server.

As Kyle and Iroken said. I would not run a Beta as my main OS.
Maybe the word "backup" is incorrect? I keep all my personal files, hundreds of photos and letters, music etc, on my main, mature OS, and also have them saved to DVD's. They would be irreplaceable and no recovery program would help if the Beta went sour.
I notice, Myuso, that you "revert back to XP", so presumably you do have a backup?

Lot's of people say you should not run a beta as your main OS, but Paul Thurrot and many others say it's way more stable than Vista and highly recommend running it as your main OS over Vista. I currently still use XP as my main OS for speed, but I also have 7 and Ubuntu installed.

Are we talking about the same thing. A main OS, means, to me, one where you are storing all new data and file. As an alternative, but in dail use for testing and getting familiar with -OK
I do not know what the "others" said, but Paul Thurrot certainly would never reccomend running a Beta OS as the main OS. If you have definite plans to hack the activation, which we cannot discuss here, or you intend to buy, and overwrite, with the real thing. Then you are on a reasonable path.
What Paul Thurrot actuall said was,
quote "That said, you're mileage may vary, so approach any install of this Beta with caution, and be sure to back up all of your important data ahead of time. I have not upgraded any Windows Vista PCs to the Beta yet,"

LOL Yup it's my main os on my notebook now. Couple of little issues but nothing major.

I have acronis true image and made an image donkeys ago of a fresh xp install with all drivers and acronis so it's easy as pie to say goodbye hehe

My documents are located on external drives so I don't have a problem losing my stuff, except if my hdd's die :eek: lol

yes.. one of of my laptops... ( having " true imaged" it first)
though I am increasingly surprised at how much better than vista ( on the other two) this is...
short of something drastic happening in the next week, I may change them over too.....

But if you back everything up, you miss out on the fun of running recovery programs and scanning the hard drive for hours. I refuse to miss out on this integral part of the beta experience. I never back up anything. Of course, part of the reason i never back up is that the only things that touch my C:\ drives are documents and programs, every media file is stored away on my server.

Even files on your server are at risk. There is warnings throughout the Windows 7 release notes about corrupted mp3 files. Even if the files are not on your local hard drive they can still be corrupted. To be safe you would want to make the files on your server "read only".

I installed the beta on Saturday on MY main PC - my wife's laptop still has XP. I can't afford a divorce lawyer... LOL

A few things aren't working as I'd like, but I'll get it figured out. I'm also going to install it on my HTPC tonight and see how THAT works! :D

And yes - I have taken GHOST images of each "before".... then I can restore it if things get too wonky - or just fry and reinstall. LOVE BETA TESTING! Up down, up down, up down... who need aerobics.

BUT - I am thinking that there won't be many downs with Win7... boo-yah!

I have a dedicated computer for "experimental" OS's and Applications. It is connected to my "main" computer through a KVM switch. I guess I don't feel too comfortable all the way on the edge as some people do.

There are threads all over the web on this DVD problem.Even a couple on this site. I am going to dedicate some real time browsing some of the hi tech sites and see if there is a historic solution anywhere.

Back