Windows 7 Are you using Windows 7 Beta 1 as your main Operating System ?

Are you using Windows 7 Beta 1 as your main OS (Operating System) ?

• Total voters
There are threads all over the web on this DVD problem.Even a couple on this site. I am going to dedicate some real time browsing some of the hi tech sites and see if there is a historic solution anywhere.

Elaborate, what kind of DVD problems are you experiencing ?

Jordan

As mentioned earlier there was a problem with mp3 files being clipped by a few seconds at the start

A fix has already been issued by Microsoft
find it at
for 32 bit http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a754008b-d574-4e39-b4ba-67b859a242b7
for 64 bit Download details: Update for Windows 7 Beta for x64-based Systems (KB961367)

Don't know if you have all registered the beta yet, but its worth it....
so far I have had about 18 updates... not sure if the above was going to be one of them, but I got there first and manually installed it prior to moving over Mp3 files..
hope this helps

davehc that is not a very smart move. Saving media to dvd can be dangerous especially if one of the dvd's cannot be read. I would caution against ever doing this.

davehc that is not a very smart move. Saving media to dvd can be dangerous especially if one of the dvd's cannot be read. I would caution against ever doing this.

I have not the slightest idea what your are saying M8 What saving? What media? Do you mean my first post? I said "and also" to DVD's.

Last edited by a moderator:
nice new operating system

i like it and am using on my main comp haveing a few probs though that are very annoying its definetly much prettier :)

I have no idea where it came from either davehc. I apologize for incorrectly accusing you of something you didnt do.

I am on the media pc, as we had many problems with Vista's Media Centre. I like both Vista and 7, but several different issues just make me want to throttle the neck of the nearest Microsoft employee.

I have no idea where it came from either davehc. I apologize for incorrectly accusing you of something you didnt do.

No prob. Just wanted to put the record straight. Carry on your good work on this forum!!

They're just as good as anything else, really. I've seen harddrives flake out at the drop of a hat, thumb drives die for no apparent reason, and discs become transparent with age. Best you can do is make multiple backups on different types of media, cross your fingers, and pray a bit.

To hop on topic, I'm using 7 as my main OS at the moment. After I got my wonky ass stupid harddrive problem fixed and managed to get my copy activated, the thing seems surprisingly nice and stable for a beta release. So far, it's handled everything I've thrown at it like a champ. I've still got XP on another drive ready to be cloned just in case. But for now, things look promising.

In short, I like it, but I dunno if I love it yet. I'm jumping from XP to 7, and there are a few Vistaish things I've got to come to terms with before I can start getting all starry eyed. Still, at the very least, I'm impressed with it.

Primary OS on my home PC and on My work laptop.

I am really impressed at how well is scales itself on the laptop.

64bit @ Home W/ 4gig Ram: idles using 1.12 gig

32bit @ Laptop W/ 2gig Ram: idles around 650meg

What really impressed me was at home, alt tabbing in and out of Left 4 Dead was sooo smooth. It was like changing between IE and Outlook. There was no lag as the image redrew, L4D was just there and ready.

I am sold.

I am using it as my primary OS on my netbook, and as much as I can on my Macbook (there is a lot of stuff I need that I use in OS X that I don't feel like setting up in 7).

The new UI is amazing, and everything is running super smooth. 7 is running better than XP or Ubuntu did on my Aspire One.

If it can stand the test of time, and if it proves to be stable, I will be selling my Macbook and getting a tablet notebook that runs Windows 7.
As a hardcore Unix/Mac fanboy, I cannot believe that I am saying this.

Now to test it on my gaming desktop :)

Last edited:
Hy to all,

Yes - by now I can say that I switched primary on 7. Dual boot with XP is the initial setup but now I keep booting on 7. No need for XP. Nice one for a beta....

As for backing up... I'm simple:
3 partitions - one XP install no data saved on
- one 7 install no data saved on
- one data partition

Any crashes of the OS just format the partition and reinstall. No data loss

That defeats the purpose of enjoying a beta os and experimenting with it to its full potential. I remember running windows 3.1 as soon as it came out to stores and loved the first touch of the diskette and look of the welcome screen. If you really want to get on your knees and get dirty, having W7 as ur primary os and doing everyday tasks on it is truly an experience. But im a fool and must admit I have xp 64 waiting on the back burner ready in any case.

It was time for me to wipe/reload my OS anyway (this is an annual practice for me) so I figured why not? I'll use it as my primary OS until I get fed up with all the crashes, application conflicts or whatever else is going to bug me...

Well... I have not run into ANY of those issues stated above at this point. Looks like I may keep this one around until retail if it keeps up at this pace! Now that I have seen it and played with it as much as I have, I am not sure I COULD go back if I wanted too!

So, yes, it is my Primary OS.

Partition Details:

C: Primary OS Installation Drive (500GB)
D: Working drive for whatever it is I am working on (250GB)
E: Data Store: This is where I keep all my files and data in case I need to wipe C:, I lose no data... :) (250GB)
F: External USB Drive for whatever I need... :p (350GB)

Last edited:
i am using win7 as main os too, and YES for back up.. come on what is the fun in all those recovery things :D:D it gets my blood pressure high ...lol
in fact this is my first time using a beta as main os ..and i THINK i might be lucky.. it is stable so far..
so let us just hope that everything is OK and even better with time.

Honestly, all I REALLY need is Office, Internet, Zune Software, Movie Watching Capabilities and my World of Warcraft. ALL of the above work flawlessly. :D:D

What are you guys going to do when the beta stops workiing on the first of August and the retail isn't out? :razz:

I will probably go to beta 2 or beta 3 - - possibly to some version of Linux or something else experimental. I will stay with XP Pro as my "main" OS on my "main" computer for some time yet.

Back