Windows 7 Assistance with error STOP: c0000218

Scootkid19

IMG_2424.JPG
IMG_2425.JPG
IMG_2426.JPG
Good Evening,

New to forum. Outta the blue (no pun intended), laptop encounters BSoD.

Quick aside on features:
HP Elitebook 6930p, runs on Windows Vista.
Older computer, purchased in '09, I imagine the driver has since been updated but not confident.
Disclaimer: Not computer literate but can pick up quickly on terms and such(i.e. Just learned acrynoym for Blue Screen of Death and put it into use).In addition I'm working from my iPhone 6 since I can't login to my laptop. Finally given that the computer is nearly 8 years old, (need a new one, I know) I have no idea where the Vista start up disk is located. I would prefer to fix this without purchasing a new disc. AND most importantly, I being lazy have not backed up any of my files and can't afford to lose them.

Problem:
Attached is a photo of the screen I've been receiving since this started. There's also a second photo of the screen I receive when I attempt to manually repair the error. Now when I press F8 and select Safe Mode with Command Prompt, as means to run Chkdsk, (to check my hard drive from solutions I've read online) the computer begins to pull up the drives but the screen freezes before I can input a command as seen in my third photo attachment. After time passes the screen unfreezes and resets back into start up screen of computer(not home screen since I can't get that far).

Conclusion:
If I have to purchase a new Vista start up CD I will, although not sure if it makes a difference as to whether or not I need original CD. Preferably I would like to resolve this manually (w/o CD use) and make this putred BSoD a thing of the past. Thank you in advance for all your interest and support of the matter.

*Rephrased. How do I access the C-drive from boot? All remedies I've come across refer to start up menu which I clearly can't access, if I could life would be a lot easier.

Morning Scootkid19,

as the error stop code was unfamiliar I did some research.

Basically Stop: 0xc0000218 means the registry is corrupt and a complete reinstall is recommended:
A Stop 0xc0000218 error message means that a necessary registry hive file could not be loaded. This error message can occur if the file is corrupt or missing. To resolve this issue, you can reinstall the operating system and restore the registry files from a backup. The registry files may have been corrupted because of hard disk corruption or some other hardware problem.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/156640

Try booting into safe mode with command prompt and run a chkdsk (if possible). Please set the chkdsk to look for and repair broken sectors. This guide will help:
How to Fix Hard Drive Problems with Chkdsk in Windows 7, 8, and 10

You can find your minidumps in a folder marked 'minidump' in the main Windows folder.

As Neem's suggests if you can post them up we'll be able to tell you a lot more.

Good Evening,

So after many attempts, all safe mode options inveitably lead to the screen freeze and or safe mode coming to a sudden halt at crcdisk.sys as see in third picture. Therefore chkdsk can't be entered into command prompt.

Been burying my head into a pleathora of articles online, so trying to navigate this the best I can while comprehending it all. Based upon the aforementioned error, without having the actual Vista recovery disc, I've read that I should burn the Vista recovery program(which I'll need a burning program and a download of the Vista recovery disc) onto a disc. Despite my HP having USB drives, I read that for what I presume to be a data size issue, only DVD's or CD's can carry the image over. *Temporarily using my mom's HP laptop to attempt all of this. Relative to the Vista program I intend to download, there are two options, the 32bit or 64bit and since there's very little I can access on my HP, there's no way of knowing which program to download. I was curious as to whether I could access chkdsk or this 'file dump' via command prompt or in general from F10/F12 since all safe modes on F8 have had no resolution.

Just a smidgen of information I've come across and as you can see a lot of different angles so I'm a little reserved in my next move.

IMG_2440.JPG
Okay so F12 is just the same page for if I were to let this comp. attempt to boot up automatically yet on F10 I get the attached image....wondering if I can work with that?

Your first option would be to track down a copy of Windows Vista so you can boot from the disk and either re-install or run the start up repair. If the copy of vista you have access to is free then why not try downloading both in regards to 32 and 64bit?

Back
Top Bottom