Windows 7 Asus Hardware Freeze

shurguywutt

Here is my setup:

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 140W Quad-Core Processor Model HDZ965FBGIBOX

ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

ASUS EAH4890/HTDI/1GD5 Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 996652

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit.

Here is the problem:

I experience random freezes which cause me to have to restart manually. Also my video data fails to start sometimes. I get these red lights on the back of my video card and no video data output. Sometimes when I am forced to manually restart (because of a freeze) I get the red lights, so I have to keep restarting until I finally get it to start without the red lights (and hopefully not freeze again).

Anyways, I have done a little research and I heard something about the Asus MB trying to power down PCI slots in order to save power. I cannot imagine this causing my freezes because they happen at random times.

Could this just be a faulty video card? I guess the only way for me to tell would be to use onboard video for a while and see if I can get by without a freeze.

What do you guys suppose?

-Brandon

Back