Windows 7 Asus p5k major compatibility issues

honsbeek

I am having serious problem running Windows 7 32bit on my ASUS P5K ,

I am not able to find and update the chipset drivers and barely got the LAN drivers ...

I tried downloading the P5K-e LAN drivers which seem to be working , now I tried the same for the Chipset Drivers , but not as

successful ... Please help if you can ...

In System manager the chipset driver is shown as an exclamation mark and I can't fix it ..

thanks

Ralph

I tried downloading the P5K-e LAN drivers which seem to be working , now I tried the same for the Chipset Drivers , but not as

successful ... Please help if you can ...

In System manager the chipset driver is shown as an exclamation mark and I can't fix it ..

Have you tried:

Device manager > right click the device > update driver ?

~~~~~~~~~

If you have Vista support CD for your motherboard, you can try right-clicking autorun.exe > properties > compatibility > Vista.

Running the Asus P5K-E here with Win 7 Pro 32bit without any issues.

Some drivers are available on the ASUS site, and some were downloaded through Microsoft Update. If you go to the ASUS site, install the auto detect tool and select Win 7 as the OS. That might help.

Good luck.

at the asus site , they do not have any Windows 7 drivers listed for the p5k , that's why I was asking , will try the windows update

thanks

at the asus site , they do not have any Windows 7 drivers listed for the p5k , that's why I was asking , will try the windows update

thanks

That's why we said to use Vista drivers. Win7 is basically the same as Vista SP1. Anyway, Microsoft Update (sorry, not Windows Update) should get you must of them.

That's why we said to use Vista drivers. Win7 is basically the same as Vista SP1. Anyway, Microsoft Update (sorry, not Windows Update) should get you must of them.

I updated windows and everyting went well, after update I tried to open my IE but internet connection is visible but unable to access any websites now. before I installed Asus p5k Pro board LAN drivers , Was not able to in stall any Vista drivers cause system blocks me from installing them , they are not compatible

I don't know about your internet connection, but about the Vista drivers it would normally be the driver package that doesn't "know" W7.
So open the driver package and direct the update function in the device in the device manager to the file with the opened driver package. And update the driver that way.
But I still think that Microsoft Update will take care of the basic functions like chipset etc.

Yes the chipset got squared away , but all my devices are listed are correct and now no internet connection after update .

Windows update and Microsoft update aren't the same ? please explain yourself

Your driver for your onboard LAN adapter is something like Attansic L1 Driver and Utility WHQL V2.0.6000.0. If you can't install the Vista driver the way I said, you must go looking for a W7 driver on the net.

Before that try uninstalling the adapter and restart. Or if you have a loose network card, install that and let Microsoft Update find your Attansic driver.

Windows Update handles a subset of what Microsoft Update handles. Microsoft is updating other people's software. So the change of name.

Last edited:

thanks

They do have the Windows 7 Chipset. After you install the OS, this should be the next thing you install. The chipset will take care of devices like USB, Power and some integrated accessories. Also, You can use Vista drivers with Windows 7, which should not be necessary.

Also, Windows Update and Microsoft Update are 2 different services offered by Microsoft. By default, you have access to Windows Update which only updates the OS. Windows Update will also list any hardware drivers that have been updated since the OS release that you have. You then have an option to update to Microsoft Update. This includes the Operating System as well as other Microsoft installed applications such as Office, Project, Visio, Maps, etc.

I downloaded the Vista drivers uninstalled the previous drivers , then manually updated it , it seems to be stable for now , thanks for the kind help

Oh guess what ,

I just turned on my computer again and the internet was severed yet again .. I think I might have the wrong driver installed still .
Since I first tried the P5K-E driver (Atheros L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base -T Controller) which is not really the one on my MOBO , I can still see it
in system manager.

The connection is now turning or and on every start up , I think I need to pry out the this driver and try the Vista one for P5K , but if I select remove the driver , and restart
it just automatically places it back in place... How can I 100% remove the driver and continue to attempt to try out another driver ,

thanks again

My P5K-E uses a Marvel Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller. When I installed Win 7 Pro 32bit, it loaded the driver off the CD but an updated driver was available from Windows Update. I guess different revisions of motherboards use different hardware chipsets.

I agree with the above. Go into Device Manager, right click on the network device and choose Uninstall.

Then reboot your computer. Win7 will detect new hardware and should install the driver that came with the OS, or at the very least, will prompt you for the location of the drivers. Then just point to the drivers you downloaded and install. If it uses the OS drivers, go into device manager and update the drivers.

Back