Windows 7 ATI OpenGL [Win7 x64]

Chances are he's running in D3D but hey, its at least a bit of hope (something we haven't quite had yet). Speak for yourself however, im dual booting with XP JUST for CS 1.6 right now lol, forget windowed mode.

Gonna install Windows XP once again to "LOL" can't even install Photoshop CS2 nor Video Vegas... And those are the programs i use THE most or almost or everytime i turn on the computor xD.. So i'm turning back, but i love Windows 7 and when they fix the opengl problem and MAKE ME ABLE TO INSTALL PS CS2 and video vegas well then im sold.. Bye for now..

Okay, I have been experiencing this problem too.

I'm running Windows 7 Beta 1 64bit on my HP Pavilion laptop, which has an NVidia Geforce 8400M GS in it.

Running DirectX based 3D applications, or games in D3D mode instead of OpenGL mode, actually gives superior performance than under Vista, but comparable to Windows XP.

Running OpenGL apps in windowed mode is fine, but there's an obvious framerate drop.

Going fullscreen using OpenGL causes huge amounts of flickering, but the framerate goes like it should, and, the flickering doesn't show up on screenshots and videos, which render correctly.

This is confirmed to occur using the v169 drivers available exclusively for Windows 7 through Windows Update, AND using the "NVidia Notebook Drivers" for Vista 64bit (v179) available from the NVidia website.

I'm really curious as to what's causing this, and if there's a fix. :/

Similar thing here using Intel gm965 chipset x3100 mobile graphics. I can only run CS 1.6 in software mode. I was using vista driver but I installed Intels new preview driver and still a no go. Whats worse is I cant even make opengl run in windowed mode or at any resolution, color depth or refresh rate. No screen flashes though :]. Looks like Ill be dual booting.

I have the same damn problem :s
i think i am going to use windows xp again,
counter strike is the ONLY game i play :|

I have an ATI mobility radeon HD2400

Ok finally got CS working with OpenGL. Heres what I did with my graphics adapter (hopefully something similar will help others). Apparently (at least with Intel) the new win7 drivers did not include OpenGL in them. All I had to do was download the latest driver package from Intels website and install it in compatability mode for windows Vista. Now playing CS :].

.. took quite a few tries. make sure the computer doesnt try to revert back to a different driver. also, when I finally did get the vista driver installed correctly, It had to restart like 3 times.

Last edited:
Hey guys.

I've found a solution which, unfortunately, doesn't work for newer video cards yet.

The problem I had was with XBMC (a media center application). It was flickering a lot on Windows 7 I've installed on my HTPC, with the Windows Vista x64 drivers (8.12 & 9.1), and wouldn't start at all with Windows 7 Preview drivers due to lack of OpenGL 2.0 support.
However, when I installed Catalyst 7.10 Vista drivers, it started working just fine.
The problem is that 7.10 is quite an old version. It works great for my HTPC with HD2600XT, but on my main PC I have an HD4850 which isn't supported by those drivers. So I'll have to wait a bit for Windows 7 here.

If you guys didn't realized it yet.

The OpenGL problem happens in

• Both Nvidia and ATI.
  • ONLY WINDOWS 7 64-BIT.
So, to anyone that is using 32-bit windows 7 BETA 1, you will be surprised that there's no problem for you.

EDIT: ok, I found a fix (finally). First of all, get Rivatuner. When done installing the program, run the program and follow the instructions on the picture below.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i182/xFoXXy/rivatuner1.png
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i182/xFoXXy/rivatuner3.png

I hope ATI users are able to do that as I don't know whether is there such options for ATI graphic cards.

Last edited:
I installed Windows 7 beta yesterday to check it out and a few hours ago I also got the open-gl bug (my card is GeForce 8600 GT) and so the last couple of hours I spend being dissapointed that a couple of my favorite games where doing this ugly flicker and then I found this post and as I was reading from the begining and no solution came up I was about to give up and then the last post O_O (posted just 15 hours ago)

in short:

LIMZM U ARE WIN !!!

now I can profit

thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're welcome. =D
I just happen to play around with it and managed to find the workaround.

Anyways, I just need some reports from ATi users since I am Nvidia user.

You're welcome. =D
I just happen to play around with it and managed to find the workaround.

Anyways, I just need some reports from ATi users since I am Nvidia user.

Thanks for finding a fix, but when i do that fix, the flickering dissapears but CS does not run well it lags and is unplayable
Do u know what i might have done wrong?

regards cem

Thanks for finding a fix, but when i do that fix, the flickering dissapears but CS does not run well it lags and is unplayable
Do u know what i might have done wrong?

regards cem
The lag that is occuring is normal. Since Windows 7 doesn't have a proper OpenGL driver for 64-bit (from what I know), it will lag.

This is just a workaround to get rid of the flickering, but the actual problem still persist.

The lag that is occuring is normal. Since Windows 7 doesn't have a proper OpenGL driver for 64-bit (from what I know), it will lag.

This is just a workaround to get rid of the flickering, but the actual problem still persist.

Okey, thanks for the answer.
The game is unplayable with that lag though :)

Running an ATI x1250 with 9.2_x64 vista drivers. RivaTuner doesn't give me the driver customization options. Also the openGL screen savers I have do the same thing, the little preview works fine, but full screen "strobes."

ATI opengl

has been disfunctional since cat 8.01 and heres why to get around this please install cat 9.4 or above or use a previous copy of the atioglxx.dll file from cat 7.11 or before

ok plz explain

ok here is my problem i have the windows 7 64bit and i cannot install the catalyst drivers due to the fact that it says these drivers are not ment for this version of windows, even thou they are for vista 64/windows 7 (NON of them install) how do i change the dll thing you mentioned, also i have a radion xpress 200m obility so 9.5 or higher catalyst rdrivers dont support my card :( plz help someone

ohh your using an mobilty part then you'll need to go t your cards manufacturer or google for omega drivers

Back