Windows Vista Avg 8.5 (Should I Monitor This??)

Celestra

Former Moderator
I have my AVG 8.5 set to automatic scan (Not Fast) Here's what I get:

I do have other processes going, it never bothered "Norton" that much.....

This is what I get in the Task Manager without AVG running:

Last edited:
" automatic scan" just some clarification for my self, is it once the computer is left alone it kicks in then stops once you the user start using it, or is it constantly scanning away, hogging everything while your trying to get things done? Often there's no need to scan all the time, just set it to do it once a week.

I use Avast, that has on demand residential protection, then here and there I "boot time" scan, basically is stops the os from loading up then does it's thing like lightning fast, because there's no processes going, 100% devoted to the scan.

****I could not believe they wanted a 3 hour scan !!! I have 2 years worth of backup. I've never had anything but "Norton". The scans are less intrusive and loads of backup isn't scanned on a regular basis. We do more short scans (one,two maybe) If I was working in a dangerous area say, I'd short scan. I've been a little neurotic since they developed those super worms and putting Trojans in video files. Once or twice a week for longer in depth scan. They didn't take any three 3 hours! Our shields are very good, all attacks hitting are logged.

The AVG scan turns on at 10:00 am every morning and won't give up scanning backup. Most of these scans I cancel after 500,000.

I did try to put another picture in my post above, but something happened to it. It wasn't on file.

Last edited by a moderator:
I disable anything thats automatic and do it manually but then again I scan every few days or so...
Is there a shot missing from your post Celestra?

What Drew said!!! I used AVG, and swore by it, for several years, but it has become VERY hoggish the last two or three version updates. It takes literally hours (2 to 3) to perform a scan and nearly shuts your computer down while doing so. The last version that I used ignored my configured settings to scan at 3:00 am and just performed a scan whenever it took a notion to do so. Even at 11:00 am, 2:00 PM, 8:00 PM, or whenever. I am currently using Microsoft Security Essentials which I am quite happy with even tho it is still in beta with no announcement yet regarding GA that I know of.

I've never tried Avast but then again i've never had any problems with AVG... I think I'll pop over to their website and check it out (avast)

(I tried to add another picture but something happened to it.) I'm used to "Norton" with several quick none invasive scans. A full scan from "Norton" never took 3 hours... AVG goes on for hours, I have to manually stop it at 500.000. (If I have my computer on at 10:00 am, AVG will go on) I'm also tired of trying to make it keep a connection with Microsoft Monitoring. (It's on, it's off with the connection) I think I'd rather catch a virus before it gets into my computer that deep -where I would need AVGs extremely penetrating scans.

My AVG scan only takes about 7-10mins and sometimes a lot less than that. Mind you, my HDDs are not that large (only 160GB) so thats perhaps why..

I will never endorse Norton, who knows what is going on with AVG. Try uninstalling and if you are going the free route use Avast? Otherwise I'd argue ESET NOD32 or Smart Security is still the best in class for paid anti-virus solutions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Won't use anything but a recognized security software

(I won't use any software program except one of the big ones). Has anybody run across a site where they grip your computer, tell you that you've been exposed and infected by many viruses and trojans. Quick!! except this free download, they use a Microsoft warning approach? If you turn them down they keep holding the attempt to download. You may even have to break the link by turning the computer off ? (Under no circumstances should you except their download) Start your virus scan instead, ALT + F4 the screen or turn your computer off. I believe this to be a phony anti virus company that actually downloads a virus. (Although I haven't checked it out, the approach is disreputable)

(I won't use any software program except one of the big ones). Has anybody run across a site where they grip your computer, tell you that you've been exposed and infected by many viruses and trojans. Quick!! except this free download, they use a Microsoft warning approach? If you turn them down they keep holding the attempt to download. You may even have to break the link by turning the computer off ? (Under no circumstances should you except their download) Start your virus scan instead, ALT + F4 the screen or turn your computer off. I believe this to be a phony anti virus company that actually downloads a virus. (Although I haven't checked it out, the approach is disreputable)

Answer yes, and those sites are all BS!

Got one yesterday!!!! Clicked to close and it just popped right back up. Wouldn't go away. Had to shut down to get rid of it. "Fanbox" was the name of it.

I normally find one when I'm googling to solve a problem in the forum.. I think I've finally found the link that'll prove the answer to life, the universe and everything ......and then bam one of those damn pages will appear..:razz:

I use Ad-Aware for my spyware needs although AVG has some spyware capabilities too. Anyway, needless to say, I've never been plagued with a virus or the like although they've tried to get through but have always been caught...

Back