Windows 7 AVG Disaster for Windows Users

Captain Jack

Fantastic Member
Customers of AVG Antivirus ran into a problem with virus database 271.1.1/3292 (432/3292) released 12:53 AM CET. When following through with the requested computer restart, instead of Windows loading, they received the error:

"STOP: c0000135 The program can't start because %hs is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

Although the definitions were removed from the servers as soon as they were aware of the problem, there were many impacted by this issue. From reports, it appears as though 64-bit systems were impacted by this issue. Reports differ as to whether this issue was restricted to Windows 7 or if it also included Windows Vista customers.

AVG has provided suggested steps in the forum thread at Some Windows 7 Operating Systems Cannot Be Started After Latest Update, followed by an FAQ topic: System crash after the recent AVG 2011 update 3292 (BSOD).

One AVG user reported the method at "Alternate Method" as successful with a failed repair disk.

Source:Link Removed - Invalid URL

Man, I've been preaching on people to uninstall this software or stay away from it entirely. Add this to the large amount of reasons, not to mention the notorious bsods.

McAfee did this too not too long ago and so many business were interrupted.

Man, I've been preaching on people to uninstall this software or stay away from it entirely. Add this to the large amount of reasons, not to mention the notorious bsods.

McAfee did this too not too long ago and so many business were interrupted.

Yeah ! AVG is getting worst now a days

Actually AVG did this same thing less than a year ago and it hosed a bunch of European users systems. Didn't seem much impact here in the U.S. don't know if they caught it because of the time difference and removed the update from the servers before we got out of bed or not.
Stop using AVG almost two years ago and have never looked back. Would suggest other's consider doing the same. Just one persons opinion.

Don't they do any testing before sending the update. They are putting lot of people in trouble especially enterprise users.

Don't they do any testing before sending the update. They are putting lot of people in trouble especially enterprise users.

They do test definition updates prior to release, but I'm guessing after this issue they will be adding "Does the PC reboot?" to the check list. ;)

My morning feed stated this was an issue with "Windows XP 64 Bit" and now I've gone back they updated it to "64 bit Windows7" ?!

Funny because I know lots of machines that were running Win7 64bit with AVG but only alerted the guys I know running XP64 with AVG. Apparently none of the Win7 guys rebooted before the defs were fixed. :)

I don't think AVG is the only Software maker that is sloppy in testing. WD external drive have lots of problems every time they upgrade firmware. This is hard to believe but if you have a Mac you need to do the update on a Windows system for it to work!
Joe

I think you could let a beta update out first and have volunteer users to install it. So they can avoid such disaster

Hey Joe, good to see you (virtually speaking). I completely agree, we've all seen examples of various software products that should have spent a bit more time in pre-release beta. But this one was particularly nasty as it kinda bricked your system, with a blue screen normal boot and apparently a reboot loop if you tried safemode. Imagine if that was your only system, no alternate way to get additonal information or help. I certainly don't want to turn this into a bash AVG thread but this wasn't their first trip to the rodeo, so they should definitely know better and as I understand it, it affected both the free version as well as the paid for version. Sure makes you want to make alternative recommendations.

Apparently some of the more expeienced users quickly figured out some work arounds like using a rescue disk or tapping softkeys. I feel sorry for the casual user that has no idea what is going on with a PC if it doesn't work and takes it some repair clown that really shafts them for fixing it. You think devlopers would have a battery of PC by main box makers in different Windows versions to test anything before they even released a beta. Or at least a bunch of virtual PCs for tests. I test freeware out on a VM before putting it on actual PC.
Joe

Joe

Back