Windows 7 BACK AGAIN- networking XP

ruggb

Extraordinary Member
OK - so everything was running. My W7 saw my XP system and vise-versa.
I changed my MB out in my W7 system. Close to the same such that booting with the same HDD was almost OK. Fixed things and I thought everything was fine.
Today I try to copy something TO my XP system and I can't see it.
I can access W7 from XP. I can copy FROM W7 to the XP machine.
Internet works fine.
The router never changed, except I had to reconfigure my reserved setting since the MAC changed on the new MB.

NOTHING changed - workgroup, permissions, all set and all the same.
W7 sees no XP system now.
nothing changed on the XP system.

What is wrong now??????????

thx

Probably nothing wrong.
If I understand the issue correctly, when you say "see" I assume that you just mean the XP machine(s) are not visible when you open explorer and select network at the bottom of the left column. (sort of like the old network neighborhood, or my network places). As you say "I can copy FROM W7 to the XP machine."
That information being available is dependent on the propagation of netbios information to all network nodes
Couple things you can try
First reboot the machines bringing up the W7 machine first (browser election, who's the master browser, who keeps a list of servers) sometimes if the XP machine is first up on the network, for some reason the W7 machine doesn't win, I don't know why)
use the nbstat utility on the Win7 machin
from an elevated command prompt (runas administrator)
type nbtstat -R this should purge and reload the netbios cache table
Then ping the xp machine by name this should load it into the Win7 netbios cache table
then nbtstat -c this should show that the xp machine's name has been added to the Win7 netbios cache table
Now you should be able to see it.
You could always add the ipaddress and the netbios name of the XP machine to the existing Win7 machines lmhosts file
located here C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
this will insure that the netbios information regarding the XP machine is always available to the Win7 machine. However;
if you are using DHCP to obtain ip address for machines on your network, then if the ip address of the XP machine ever changes for some reason, you will have to update the information in the Win7 machines lmhost files. Static ip address assignments will resolve this with ease.

thx trouble
there was nothing in the cache. I reloaded, pinged, and checked again. it was there.
It is still not showing in WE or in the network map.
firewall off on both systems. I previously (like before I changed the MB) had an issue with netbios block in the firewall and set it to allow. even though I have static addresses on my net I want this to work without the imhosts entry as it did before.

I understand completely.
Couple more things
open network connections folder by typing ncpa.cpl in search or run dialog box
make sure that netbios over tcp/ip is enabled in the properties of the network card, ipv4 properties, advanced button, wins tab.
open service console by typing services.msc in search or run dialog box
Computer Browser Service started
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper Service started
See if any of that helps

OK - it says if the IP addresses are static one needs to tick ENABLE.... as opposed to DEFAULT.
I did
CBS was started
TCP was set to automatic but not started. - started it.

no change. maybe I will reboot to see if anything changes now.

OK keep us posted.
One other thing, is the XP machine running any type of third party software that might require adding the new mac address from the embedded NIC on the new MoBo to a trusted list of network nodes?

Still can't see XP from W7.
both machines connected wired to a Linksys 310N router.
trying another wired XP system.............................
Can't see that one either, but it sees W7 the same as the other one.
I'd be pulling my hair out know except I ain't got none to pull on.............

OK - RESOLVED...............

For some reason the W7 & 1st XP system were showing the correct (same) workgroup under SYSTEM but when I went to CHANGE it showed me the default WORKGROUP & MSHOME. I changed them twice and rebooted twice before they stayed what I changed them to. The 2nd XP system was correct in both places. Another MS "design intent" I suppose.

The XP systems are still showing a WORKGROUP workgroup under MICROSOFT WINDOWS NETWORK which of course is not accessible, but there are no other ..... wait there is a stream box - guess I need to check that too................
OK, except for a chewed wire courtesy of my ex-cat, everything seems to be connected again. The WORKGROUP finally disappeared.

Thanks TROUBLE

My pleasure.
Glad you were finally able to resolve your issue. Thanks for posting back with the update.

Back