Windows 10 Background Sounds in Windows 10

Vandk

Sounds of an advertisement start playing in the background in Windows 10. I just can't shut it off. When I am watching a video, or playing music or skyping, I hear other sounds (from an advertisement, from the sound of it).

I hear it even if I have no internet browser running. I can't understand where I can shut that process from.

It is really disturbing and I hear it unexpectedly. When I open my volume mixer it seems to be coming from WindowsFormsApplication1.

Last edited:
Hi

Check all of the stuff that loading at startup.

An easy way to do that is to use CCleaner and uncheck the things that might be the problem and reboot to see if it fixes it. Look at the Tools, Startup tab.

It would be worth running Malwarebytes to see if there's some kind of Adware running though I've never heard an anything like this.

I do have a sound track from a game keep running in the background occasionally (but rarely), after I close it but loging out and back in stops it.

If that you don't find something that's starting it come back and see if other people have more ideas.

Mike

Hi

Check all of the stuff that loading at startup.

An easy way to do that is to use CCleaner and uncheck the things that might be the problem and reboot to see if it fixes it. Look at the Tools, Startup tab.

It would be worth running Malwarebytes to see if there's some kind of Adware running though I've never heard an anything like this.

I do have a sound track from a game keep running in the background occasionally (but rarely), after I close it but loging out and back in stops it.

If that you don't find something that's starting it come back and see if other people have more ideas.

Mike

I don't have CCleaner. The sound is coming from WindowsFormsApplication1 (from what the sound mixer is saying), I can't find that anywhere in the Control Panel or the startup programs in the Task Manager.

Hi

WindowsFormsApplication1 is shown as Malware, download Malwarebytes install and run it...

Free Anti-Malware Detection & Removal Software

Navigate to download free version on the second page download and install it.

You should also install CCleaner, I'm guessing that almost everyone on this forum uses it, and it's free...

CCleaner - Free Download - Piriform

It will keep you computer clean of leftovers and cookies you don't want, and makes it easy to control startup items etc.

Mike

The first one downloads, but it closes itself when I click "I accept" during the installation.

The second one is an invalid link.

Well, it may have to do with my computer too. No matter what download I try to do from any website, the only page I get is an error page.

Solution? :-\

Boot into safe mode and install it. If you have a malware infection it may be blocking the install.

Hi

Yes: sounds like you definitely have something is wrong with your computer.

Do as Neemobeer suggested and try and download, and run it in Safe Mode...

Windows Key + R

Type in...

Msconfig

Click OK.

On the Boot tab select...

Safe Boot

Click Apply and OK.

Restart Your computer.

You could also download it on another computer and put it on a CD, DVD or Flash Drive.

In addition to the Setup file you are saving, make a second copy of the file renamed to "Hamburger setup.exe" or anything you want, (just don't change the extension). and save that to the CD or your hard drive as well.

Since the malware is going as far as blocking the Malwarebytes web page, it may also block the install, changing the name of the install file can fool it into not seeing the .exe file as Malwarebytes.

I've actually had this work.

Mike

Last edited:
I presently have both of them installed. I have muted the sounds, but I still see something come up. The notice is on the bottom right side of the screen.
Capture.JPG

• Hi

Restart your computer but don't use the button on the screen, do it normally.
Did you run Malwarebytes?

It's the program that will remove the virus.

If not do it while still in Safe Mode.

Mike

I have run both Malaware bytes as well as CCleaner. I still get this thing called WindowsForms Application 1 playing some ad I can't see, but I can hear.
Capture.JPG

Didn't work. The culprit seems to be a JW Player.
Capture.JPG

I can't find it in my Control Panel or any other place through.

Hi

I see this problem going clear back to Windows XP.

The only suggested fixes that I find are uninstalling your browser, clearing everything out and reinstalling it.
What I found says that it isn't on your computer, that's why you can't find it, but it is some kind of online plugin connected to flash.

I saw a suggestion to open the browsers that you have installed and uncheck all the plugins and see if it goes away.

The weird thing is that this goes back so far.

Need Help Removing The JW Player Virus

Mike

Last edited:
I checked that, but I don't know how to do the following :

Remove associated registry settings:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\urlsearchhook.toolbarurlsearchhook
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\classes\urlsearchhook.toolbarurlsearchhook
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mozilla\Firefox\extensions,
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\internet explorer\toolbar\webbrowser
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run “.exe”
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings “WarnonBadCertRecving” = ’0
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop “NoChangingWallPaper” = ’1
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Attachments “SaveZoneInformation” = ’1
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System “DisableTaskMgr” = ’1
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Download “CheckExeSignatures” = ‘no’
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main “Use FormSuggest” = ‘yes’
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced “ShowSuperHidden” = 0

Delete JW Player infected files:
%Profile%\Local Settings\Temp\
%ProgramFiles%\
%UserProfile%\

Do I follow these?

Hi

This is a little too complicated to explain via a forum message if you aren't familiar with this stuff.
It involves editing the Registry and that can get you into trouble.

Do you know if you have any old restore points from before you had the problem?
To find out, click Start Button, Settings, type Restore Point in the Find a Setting window. and then select Create a Restore Point, select System Restore, click Next and check the box that says Show More Restore Points.

Look at the dates on the restore points and see if you can find one that was created before the problem started.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't have any then a few more questions...

How much stuff do you have on your computer that would have to be reinstalled if you reset your computer?

Do you have a way to backup all of your files?
Like an external hard drive or second internal hard drive.

Is this a laptop or desktop?
What brand and model computer is it?
And did it come with Windows 10 or was it upgraded?

Mike

Hi Mike,

Sorry for the delay in response. I installed Microsoft Office at a time around when this problem started, so I guess I would lose it if I restored it till the beginning?

It's a laptop, Dell Inspiron 5588 Signature Edition. It came with Windows 10.

And CCleaner and Malawarebytes mysteriously vanished from my computer. If I paid for something like Norton would that fix my problem? I don't mind spending if it would take care of my problem. I can't access some sites either because the video player embeds ads in place of the actual content.

I can't say what I need to delete from my Control Panel list either, everything seems like something I would use. When I search "JW Player" my computer returns nothing in search.

Last edited:
Back